DMC

Reaction score
Having driven a variety of very poweful and quick cars over the last few years this is a bit hard for me to tell.

My CESM Mobile no. 224/500 has a bit of a jerky pull away when cold. I suspect this will get a lot worse when winter comes. Also i've noticed that the car has what can only be described as Turbo Lag. it flies eventually but there's no urgency to the accelleration. Now clearly it's not had a turbo conversion. Its only done 29000 miles so you'd imagine that any major mechanical faults are a way off yet. But... its still troubling me.

Are there any typical faults that might cause these two problems ? And is there a way of getting some definitive diagnostics done ? Might the two things be linked ? Or am I being paranoid.

Is there someone near Chelmsford in Essex that could give me a really good health check on the car?

Reaction score
The lumpy running when cold is normal - search the forum, there are plenty of discussions on it. IIRC, it's to do with emissions and should only last for a minute or so when you initially start the car up and drive away.

As far as the urgency to acceleration goes, are you aware of the 5k rush? At 5k the engine comes on cam and you do feel an increased accelerative force..

I know they're brief answers - I'm sure that others can expand on the above..

Hope that helps..

Do 1st and 2nd gear not feel pretty strong?

If you're really worried and want a back to back comparison with another car, there are a number of us, I'm sure we could arrange to meet and enable you to ride in another car..

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
lol, neither are faults - just the quirks of the engine. The very lumpy get away is a test the car goes through when cold for emissions and cat settings.. You shouldn't experience it when the engine is warm at all but for the first 30 seconds or so when cold it can feel like it's misfiring almost.

The 'Turbo lag' feeling I guess will be the cam timing. it's Reno's mechanical version of VVT, although the actual cams don't change shape or anything that complex, but come 5k revs the urgency picks up....

If this isn't what you're referring to then it could be anything from spark plugs to air/manifold issues to even fuel injection issues. I doubt it would be any of these though - it it was it'd feel lumpy all the way through and with nearly 30k on the clock, when the engine is warm it should feel smooth, if unspectacular until it hit's 5k revs.

I thought the same when I first bought it, I came from M3's and 330's, in a straight line it felt like the Trophy was half as fast but when you stick timing gear on it, they are deceptively quick, especially 50mph+. Actually iirc they're something like 2 seconds quicker between 40-80mph than a 330Ci, but not in top gear.

DMC

Reaction score
Thanks guys that all fits with exactly what i'm experiencing..

Was following a C4S tonight and he kept looking in his mirror to see me grinning like an idiot and pushing him very hard.. !! :D :D :D