Reaction score
Has anyone found a way of perhaps trying to prolong the life of the Sachs? We know that they can suffer with road salt/dirt so just wonder if anyone else has come up with a solution to protect them. I'm not sure where the failure occurs, whether it leaks at the top of the body of the main tube or at the top or bottom of the reservoir. When mine failed, there was a lot of oil in and around the bottom of the reservoir and perhaps this is where the weakness lies where it might be susceptible to road grime ingress. With that in mined I am trying this 'solution' to see if it will prolong the life. I have used a section of an inner tube for bikes and stretched it over the end of the reservoir. The elasticity of the rubber forms a tight seal around the tube. I may tie the bottom of the inner tube with a cable tie to close the opening. The top and the bottom of the reservoir has been coated with some heavy grease to provide added protection and seal. What do you guys think, will this work?

photo.jpg photo_1.jpg

Reaction score
Seems like a very good idea. May be useful to do the same to the adjuster also.

Reaction score
Certainly couldn't do any harm! I did read somewhere that BG Motorsport recommended smothering the bottom in grease anyhow.

Reaction score
Yeah, just gotta work out how to do the same with the top part of the reservoir. There's no way will I be able to slide the inner tube up to the top.

Reaction score
I've now sealed the top by stretching and wrapping a strip of rubber inner tube and secured it with some cable ties forming a pretty tight seal. I've also tied the bottom with another cable tie and should now be protected from the worst that winter can throw at them (hopefully). Ok it looks a bit unsightly, but if it'll prolong the life, it's worth a try if anything. :up:

photo (2).JPG photo (3).JPG

Reaction score
I've now sealed the top by stretching and wrapping a strip of rubber inner tube and secured it with some cable ties forming a pretty tight seal. I've also tied the bottom with another cable tie and should now be protected from the worst that winter can throw at them (hopefully). Ok it looks a bit unsightly, but if it'll prolong the life, it's worth a try if anything. :up:

View attachment 6506 View attachment 6507

been thinking, the only drawback by covering up is you cant see any leaks.

Reaction score
Good effort. How much was the rebuild and powder coat all in?
They've not been rebuilt, I got these brand new last year from West Renault when they were £470 each, but instead of the original part, they were replaced with ones as used on Twingo R1 rally cars. The O/S damper failed about a couple of months ago and had it replaced last week under warranty. Can't say why it failed, there was no oil leak so must have leaked gas on the reservoir. The gas is in the bottom half of the reservoir so the seal must have failed there, perhaps through grime and road salt ingress from last winter. The N/S is still in perfect working order. This is why I've done this as a precaution to protect the seals from the worst that can be thrown at them all year round.

Reaction score
been thinking, the only drawback by covering up is you cant see any leaks.
The way I look at it is if it is leaking you'd know with bouncy suspension. 99% of all the failures we've seen so far are isolated to just the seals on the reservoirs. I'm hoping by protecting the seals like this it will prevent the seals from degrading due to exposure to dirt, grime, salt etc and any leaks in the long run.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I would very much recommend the use of ACF-50. I have used it for numerous applications and know it is very popular with motorcyclists for protecting components since bikes are so exposed to road salt and grime etc.

It is a very good protectant, perhaps apply it every other month or so. Obviously I doubt it would prolong the life of the components of the dampers in any way, but in terms of trying to protect the bodies from road salt and corrosion, I couldn't recommend it highly enough!

Absolutely superb stuff, expensive but worth every penny. Won't do any harm!

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf-50.htm

nbc

Reaction score
They look and feel just as good as when I bought the car in October tbh, but I suppose the real test will be after another hard winter.

My protocol will be to get them checked and Waxoyl re-applied at the yearly service with Mark and I'm pretty sure it'll extend the life of the dampers.

SoS

Reaction score
Funny enough, I presented a can of this to Mark but he insisted on Waxoyl; i'm sure it'll do the job though as I read some good reviews on it before buying.

Waxoyl is OK, but I think things have moved on really, Dinitrol or Bilt Hamber are probably a bit better to apply and look better and longer lasting. The main reason for Bilt Hamber is that it is clear and does not need a thick coating. I own a couple of classic Minis so always need to keep up to date with rust proofing products!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just a thought but maybe seal the whole unit in a condom - you can then see the damper still and it's got a protective barrier that's easy and inexpensive to replace.??..