BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I only drive my car up hills! I mean at Harewood hillclimb?

Ah yes of course. i thought maybe you wanted to shift that winter fat, less weight more speed and all that...
Let me know what day you're going and i'll have a day out if i'm not busy, i'll fetch a seat with me this time, and some lunch.

Reaction score
Nice project - I'll read through it all when I'm out of work. We've some something similar, not as big, in our field. Great for detailing in :)

Loving the pigs - is it just a hobby or do you run a farm?

We keep a handful of berkshires', purely for some goooood eatin'.

berkshire2.jpg

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Nice project - I'll read through it all when I'm out of work. We've some something similar, not as big, in our field. Great for detailing in :)

Loving the pigs - is it just a hobby or do you run a farm?

We keep a handful of berkshires', purely for some goooood eatin'.

berkshire2.jpg

Haha! That's a nice Pig you have there. I keep them for eating like yourself, I only started keeping them last year, I get 2 at a time to keep each other company. It's more of a hobby, I love the little things they have loads of character and they're such a laugh, it's sad when the times comes to take them to slaughter but at least they go happy. I just have pigs and hens, the hens are free to go where they please, the field is 5 acres but they only explore about 1 acre and always go back to the hen hut to lay eggs and sleep.

Reaction score
Ah yes of course. i thought maybe you wanted to shift that winter fat, less weight more speed and all that...
Let me know what day you're going and i'll have a day out if i'm not busy, i'll fetch a seat with me this time, and some lunch.

I had pneumonia over xmas/new year so already lost 1/2 stone on my already light weight frame, I am trying to put some on lol

May take you up on a trip up to you, I will bring my mountain bike as soon as I am upto full fitness !

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
This new forum only allows me to upload 4 images at a time so I appologise for the stupid layout from now on.

Well, that was a long winter! Finally the summer is on its way. Wohoo!

I had a good clear out the other day, and its amazing how quickly crap builds up, I know it gets worse and worse over the winter months when you get a bit lazy and can’t be arsed doing anything but where the hell does it all come from?!

I have a bit of an OCD with things being tidy so I ordered some shelving units and a workbench to keep things in order and tidy the place up. I can’t stand having to move things in order to get to something, any tools, equipment etc should be clearly visible and accessible without anything being in the way, to me that’s the perfect workshop.

I got these from eBay, each unit measures (W) 1200mm (D) 500mm (H) 1800 and they cost £200 for the 3.

_1010780.jpg

_1010781.jpg

_1010782.jpg

_1010786.jpg

Last edited:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The law of straightness...

_1010783.jpg

This workbench was £60. It’s not strong enough to fit avice etc it more just to move about and put tools on when I’m working. I’d love a really think wooden workbench but they seem to be a thing of the past now, I’ll keep looking.

_1010787.jpg

The canoe came out of storage last weekend, I gave it a good pampering, treated the wooden trim to a smoothing down then treated and sealed it, I even waxed the underside with a bit of HD wax, she’s worth it ;-)

I only weighs 25KG, I can carry it about no problem and often go out on my own but getting it down from the roof and back up again is aright pain. So, I bought some pulleys and some rope and set up a pulley system.I’m not going to explain the system (Google mechanical advantage if you don’t know) but basically it’s a 3-1 ratio which means it only feels like I’m lifting around 8KG instead of 25KG. It’s called a ‘luff-tackle’.

This little baby can safely hold 370KG! Cost about £10

_1010774.jpg

_1010773.jpg

Last edited:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
_1010776.jpg

_1010785.jpg

Kayak. Not mine unfortunately.

_1010777.jpg

The generator is a big lump and I can’t handle that on my own either so I made a little trolley for it.
All 4 wheels cost me £10, 2 are swivel and the other 2 are fixed making it easier to turn. Simple job that’ll make life a little easier.

_1010836.jpg

Last edited:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’ve been working on the outside too, planting various things and making it a nice area to sit in, should be nice once everything starts to grow. I even got a Christmas tree.

_1010841.jpg

_1010843.jpg

J

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Spend all day yesterday cleaning the car my arms were killing afterwards, I bought some Collinite wax and I think I applied it too thickly because I’ve never buffed so vigorously in my life. It took me an hour to buff it all off and that was after polishing and sealing it.

I did the following:

Rinse
Citrus Snow Foam
Rinse
Cleaned Wheels with Bilberry wheel cleaner
Cleaned wheel arches
Washed with Meguiars gold class shampoo
Rinsed
Iron X on paintwork
Rinsed (excessively)
Dried
Plastics coated with AG Bumper Care
Polished with AG SRP
Sealed with AG EGP
Waxed with Collinite 476
Glass Polished with AG Glass Polish
Exhaust tips cleaned with AG Paint Renovator

_1010798.jpg

_1010821.jpg

_1010816.jpg

_1010812.jpg

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
_1010804.jpg

_1010806.jpg

_1010831.jpg

Worth the effort.

Ben

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks fantastic, very jealous! you have put a lot of effort in to it

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers guys. It feels like a workshop now.

Sam you're right with the amount of effort involved, it's been hard work and fun at the same time, some good memorys of me and the old man putting it up :). We don't work well together because we both think we know better, I remember my mum once paying a visit and nearly ending up in tears with the all the shouting and swearing.

Great update! Hard boiled eggs spotted?

Ha, good spot Marrow! it's hungry work cleaning the car :p

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey ben.
Nice workshop there mate.... But i bet its flippin freezing in winter, what with no insulation....But then again insulation costs £££££...
Have you sealed your concrete floor.? If not everthing and i mean everthing will get covered in dust. Its best sealing it now, before you get too much kit in it....
Happy garaging....

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey ben.
Nice workshop there mate.... But i bet its flippin freezing in winter, what with no insulation....But then again insulation costs £££££...
Have you sealed your concrete floor.? If not everthing and i mean everthing will get covered in dust. Its best sealing it now, before you get too much kit in it....
Happy garaging....

Hey Dave.
Ye it was a bit cool over winter but not too bad considering. It also gets very warm inside on sunny days.
I've not yet done anything with the floor as i'm building another building inside using breeze blocks so i'm going to do it afterwards. The floor is pretty dirty already so it needs a really good clean before sealing. I'm not going to paint it, just seal it.

There is zero dust coming from the concrete floor so dust isn't an issue. I sweep it all the time and there is never any concrete dust, it's a nice smooth finish and very hard/impact resistant.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Having just seen you clean car, i'm now in a determined mood to restore mine to former glories, having not cleaned it for 8 months I feel guilty as sin... :(

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ben.
I built a garage about the same size as your workshop a few years ago. It was a steel framed building, but i clad it in brickwork and then installed a timber stud internal wall filled with 100mm of kingspan ,
The roof was also insulated with the same 100mm kingspan, [i got a REALY,REALY good deal on the insulation] then the whole lot was clad in 20mm plywood and painted white.
It was proper toastie in the winter and cool in the summer....
The only downside was i didnt seal the floor.
It was a solid concrtee floor that was power float polished, but it does get dusty inside..
My cars need to kept under a cotton dust sheet otherwise they end up with a fine layer of dust on them. Very annoying especially if youve just polished the car.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Dave, that must have been an expensive job, the plywood sheets are rather expensive now as I looked into it a while back. The plan is to insulate the internal breezeblock building but I think i'll leave the workshop area as it is for now and see how it goes. I'll certainly be sealing the floor soon enough, i've not looked into how it's done yet but hopefully it's something I can do myself.

My car seems to get covered in dead flies more than anything else. I hate spiders!

Last edited:

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Your not wrong there.
It was pretty expensive, but its a good job....
I was going to get some floor sealer from this company..
http://www.polycoteuk.com/
Whatever you do, dont just used floor paint as it will lift and wear off very quickly....

Dead flies hey, must be the speed your going,,, Hee hee, all stuck to your front bumper hey...