Reaction score
Ok my T is a 55 plate 35k miles. I do approx 8k per year. I use it everyday for work 13 miles each way. Last week I used it everyday, twice on Sat. Day off Sunday. Came to start it at 5am Monday morning and it woldn't start, ticking over but not starting. My bro put it on the charger while I was at work and when fully charged it started. Went to work the next day, started fine on the way there, but when I tried to come home after 8.5 hours. It started on the third attempt. I've given it long runs and is fine when going along. Just seems the battery is draining too quickly. So I changed the battery this morning for a new one and I hope this will cure it. But if it doesn't, What else could it be? [-o<

Reaction score
If the car turns over normally but fails to start, then that usually points to either fuelling problem or there is moisture on the electrical system. In this instance you could spray WD40 on the electrical connectors on the HT leads and coilpack and fuel and ignition connectors.

Reaction score
ok Ill ask MF if the problem persists. Could it not be a coil pack going or a starter motor perhaps?
Im getting the spark plugs changed soon anyway as the 36K service is imminent.

Reaction score
Alternator could be fooked if your battery isnt lasting, then again it can be battery like you said

Reaction score
Topic update:

I got the battery changed, as I thought the problem was due to an old battery. Car was fine for about a week. Got up this morning; wouldn't start. As before, its turning over, but no spark. Left it at home and got lifts to and from work. Checked the car this afternoon, as I was gonna bump start it and take it to the garage. Low and behold, the car starts fine. So the battery is not discharging. Its intermittent. Any thoughts? Anyone had similar problems? German cars are looking more appealing by the day lol.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
How do you know it's not sparking or do you mean it's not firing?

Do not bump start these cars!

Reaction score
yes, turning, but not firing. Obviously the spark plugs should be getting power, as it starts well sometimes, but not others. Why not bumb start? I meant push it and start etc

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Have you tried cleaning the TDC sensor? also might be worth checking if the fuel pump is always engaging (you can hear it)they can stick.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thing is i'm a little concerned no warning lights! Could be so many things really.

Reaction score
bugger. Well first time it happened, before battery was changed, ABS and TC lights came on and stayed. But since battery change, TC flickered intimitantley as I was trying to start, but went away.

Reaction score
hello again, Just a topic update. Took my car to my local dealers today. There was a technical note outstanding on the car, Therefore they reprogrammed the ECU. Hey presto, should be all sorted. So if you haven't been near or by a renault dealer in years like me, it may be worth it on day haha. Charged £46. Definitely sounds quieter and a bit smoother. I assume this is like a software upgrade.

Reaction score
Spoke to soon lol. It is still doing it. However, at the moment it is still struggling to start, but the does actually start. But I'm getting MF to look at it next week with the 36K service plus belts. I did notice that the interior light was not on. It looked like it had been knocked, but I'm not sure if it was half way between on and off and shorting. only time will tell.

Reaction score
hoolio, well done. I had the tdc sensor and loom replaced today. Renault diagnosed it with no help from me lol.
£200 with labour and vat. hopefully that will end this.

Reaction score
Did the TDC sensor solve this? It is spooky how similar my situation is. I was having problems with ABS and traction control light coming on when I was using some electrics (fan, lights etc.) then the next time I went to start it wouldn't start, jump started fine and worked ok then last time the same happened again but this time it wouldn't start. It turns over but doesn't fire.