Reaction score
I am buying a car that needs a little spending on it including a 12,000 mile service, new front tyres, road tax, small dent repair (paint intact) and possibly a new wheel.

I really want to get the most out of this Trophy so what I want to know is:

If you could make only 3 modifications to your car what would they be and why?

My first thoughts are:

1. Exhaust (not sure which is best) - improved sound and save a little weight.
2. Paintsheild - because I like my cars to stay looking good.
3. Cargo net - to stop the shopping banging around!

Thanks for your ideas. :?:

Reaction score
my first 3 were exhaust, brakes, and suspension pin removal :D

and then loads more lol.

if you are planning on tracking it then brakes are a priority!

another good bang for your buck mod is modified inlet manifold.

or panel filter and cold air feed if you don't want an induction roar!

Reaction score
After the service (fully synth oil) and tyres:

1. V-Power (does that count?)
2. Wiper stalk & new wipers if needed
3. silvervisions & decent headlight bulbs if not already fitted
4. Decent head unit with a USB hdd behind the dash & replace the oem speakers with something better (~£130+ for front and rear) - will make commuting, or any motorway trips sooo much better.
5. Brakes - If front discs are worn or show signs of scoring replace with brembo HC and oem pads (or DS2500 or pagid pads if you want to have the option of taking it on track). I would rather have oem than some of the cheaper sport pads, new vs old discs will already be an upgrade. If pads only are worn, and you don't want to upgrade them, then replace pads only with oem ones. If you've done discs & pads, and want better pedal feel, change the brake fluid.
6. ITG panel filter / Paintshield / Cargo net are all worthwhile too.

IMO, unless the exhaust needs replacing, it should be one of the last things on the list. Personally, I don't want to hear the engine on the motorway, and the standard setup impresses me mightily with its quiet operation when cruising, but manic power, and sweeeet sound when gunning it.

Reaction score
1: silver visons and light bulbs
2: Brakes pads/ and may be disks
3: Geo set up

all other stuff is a bit chav and not needed.

This car is so good as standard do not ruin it.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
1. Wiper stalk
2. Silver visions
3. Brakes
4. Inlet manifold
5. ITG panel filter
6. Permagard
7. Exhaust - orbisoud or the new janspeed
8. Remap

Reaction score
Mine are:

1. exhaust
2. manifold match
3. filter
4. remap

You'll notice a massive change after remap as this engine has a lot more to give than is original designated by Renault.

Maybe brakes!! But as it corners so well you don't need them!!

Reaction score
Wiper stalk - the standard unit is maddening
A good geomtery set up and 2 degrees negative at the front
Better pads - there are lots of different opinions on the subject - you pays your money and takes your choice!
Unless tracking it for long runs, drop the tyre pressures to 28/26. (I have proved it is quicker in competiton)
I packed out the accelerator pedal studs to make it easier to heel and toe - probably a personal preference.
The only reason to change the exhaust is to save weight!

Reaction score
1. Wiper Stalk - you can't believe how much of a difference this makes!
2. Silver Visions - look really cool and de-tango!
3. Exhaust

Bee sting aerial looks good too. It's the Honda CTR one that we use and fits straight on in lieu of the long Trophy one.

I have removed my ITG Panel Filter as I feel the car performs better without it. I have gone back to standard. This is a matter of opinion but I wouldn't bother with it again.

Get a T# PHY number plate too and join us!! ;-)

Reaction score
Re:

trophy176 said:
Mine are:

1. exhaust
2. manifold match
3. filter
4. remap

You'll notice a massive change after remap as this engine has a lot more to give than is original designated by Renault.

Maybe brakes!! But as it corners so well you don't need them!!

Will a remap on its own make much difference? I'm happy with the standard exhaust/filter and wondering what gains to expect.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Depends which remap you go for, the group n generic(flash) remap is pretty much a waste of time. A live remap will give you a little more low down grunt and more revs at the top but the F4R engine in the 182 is notoriously difficult to squeeze more out of without going to TB's
It's a lot of money really to be spending without doing it in conjunction with other mods.

Reaction score
azrael,

this is the first and most important mod to do. If it has not been done you will soon see that the intermittent wipe is about 1 nanosecond delay with no possibility to adjust it, which is pointless really. So you get a wiper stalk from a 'Dynamique' (usually you'll find someone selling them on here or on Renaultsport) and then you'll find you can adjust the delay.

If you do a search on here you'll be able to see how much people paid for theirs and also some guidelines on how to fit it(takes about 15 mins if you prepare well for it).

Honestly amazed that there are still some Trophies without this mod tbh tho!

Nick

Reaction score
My wiper stalk is still the original, I've pretyt much got used to it now and had it 16 months so I can't really see me changing it now. That said I did change the gear knob yesterday and for such a small change changing gear is a whole new experience.

Reaction score
I have shamefully had an intermitent stalk lying around awaiting fitting for at least a yr now... :oops:

I don't drive the car a huge amount so I don't notice so much!

What I would really like someone to do is come up with a mod to eliminate the ridiculously noisey relay for the wipers... (swear)

Reaction score
Just bought a new wiper stalk from ebay. Only £15, should be here within the next couple of days.
I've only had the car for a week now but the wipers so far have been annoying to say the least, can't wait for the new stalk to arrive.

Reaction score
reboot said:
azrael,

this is the first and most important mod to do. If it has not been done you will soon see that the intermittent wipe is about 1 nanosecond delay with no possibility to adjust it, which is pointless really. So you get a wiper stalk from a 'Dynamique' (usually you'll find someone selling them on here or on Renaultsport) and then you'll find you can adjust the delay.

If you do a search on here you'll be able to see how much people paid for theirs and also some guidelines on how to fit it(takes about 15 mins if you prepare well for it).

Honestly amazed that there are still some Trophies without this mod tbh tho!

Nick

Because it adds weight :wink: