Reaction score
I met Harry Metcalf at an evo track evening last year and he asked me why I had not thought about a newer car, implying that the new models are better.
Any way with this thought in mind I went and test drove a Clio 200 on a cup chassis the other day.
My thoughts, new car is bigger, much more solid and better made, and has a better low speed ride and that's where it ends.
There was no urgency about the car, the throttle felt like it was connected with a piece of elastic and the engine did nothing until it was right at the top of the rev range. The electric power steering was rubbish compared to the trophy. When up to speed on a rough road you realise quite how good the trophy damping is.

My point is that I have been looking for something newer and better to move up to and I can't find anything.
It is starting to look like the Trophy is irreplaceable and therefore priceless.

Apart from a few rattles the T is still 100% reliable and in this cold crisp air feels ballistic.

Anybody got any thoughts, I know I only had 1/2 hour in the 200 but it was kind of a side by side comparison and in my opinion it was no comparison. It would be interesting to hear if there are any 200 owners who have been able to jump into a trophy, maybe it is just the change.
I would still like a newer car but the most important factor is fun. (Maybe the new Toyabaru).

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I moved from Trophy to a 197 R27 and although there were some benefits, mainly those you mention (feeling slightly more solid and better build etc) I now look back on it as a huge mistake.

Reaction score
I know I haven't got a Trophy, but if there was anything I'd look to change my 182 for it would be either a 350/370Z or maybe a Z4M. But I don't think they would be that much faster in the real world, I'd just want to change to a nice six cylinder RWD convertible. :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I thought exaclty the same as you gungo. The only real advantage was a nicer driving postion.
Thats what you get for buying such a brilliant handling car, its hard to improve on.

I want a new car but I couldn't bring myself to sell the Trophy in place of it. Its just too good at what it does.

Reaction score
I have to disagree.

My friend has just bought a 197. Took it on a 'spirited' drive last night and i didnt see much difference....

Reaction score
Hi Gungo. Maybe, as HM owns a T himself, he was expecting you to say - replace it with what? - or something along those lines. It's easy to forget how special these little cars are. Driving the T after my daily driver (boggo Corsa) puts a few things in perspective. With limited edition 200s; Raider, Silverstone, costing >20k and the rumoured 200 Williams reportedly costing 25k (AutoCar), the T was an absolute bargain.

Reaction score
I was thinking about this today. Does anybody think that the trophy will gain value over the next few years as more slip away and become more of a collectors car? Or is it still just a clio?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think standard/less modified Trophy's are holding their value well, I would have thought by now the depreciation should have leveled off and should start increasing in the next few years or sit where they are for a while.

?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mine is a keeper for the foreseeable!

M3 CSL, EVO 9 MR or a completely different league of car - megane 250. Only cars I'll change it for.

Reaction score
I reckon prices will eventually level out at 4 - 5k mark. I just can't really see them appreciating. Although "those in the know" know these are cracking cars, they are not like a Williams for example that everyone, car person or not, knew about and really defined the genre.

Reaction score
Gungo - I agree. I've had two quick spins in a 200 and was left completely underwhelmed in so many areas. The Trophy feels so light and nimble, with impressive low-down grunt. Roundabouts almost become invisible.

Reaction score
I want a new car but I couldn't bring myself to sell the Trophy in place of it. Its just too good at what it does.

I'll agree with this, i was supposed to sell my Trophy when i bought the M3.

Can i hell. Its just too much fun. And for the 3 grand or whatever its worth, nothing else comes close.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'll agree with this, i was supposed to sell my Trophy when i bought the M3.

Can i hell. Its just too much fun. And for the 3 grand or whatever its worth, nothing else comes close.

My thoughts exactly. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it until proven wrong. What for the money can embarrass a 911, carry 5 people, return 35+ mpg, fit shopping and a couple of bikes in and handle corners as well?

It's stumped me for years, it's all round ability is unique for the most part - Exige but with more room and functionality, supermini that's a lot quicker, fairly frugal on fuel but with blistering b-road pace and who's limits seem perfectly suited to the road network. Perfect car imo.

Reaction score
Im thinking of changing mine this summer to a 350z or e46 m3, not too sure if im doing the wrong thing though...

Reaction score
Im thinking of changing mine this summer to a 350z or e46 m3, not too sure if im doing the wrong thing though...

You'll get bored of the 350Z after about a week. Poor mpg, not that quick, bit fat lazy bloater imho.

The M3 is flipping awesome, but in all seriousness, its simply far too quick/capable for 'thrashing' on UK roads.

Apparently, whilst driving through the Brecon in Wales, it was quite apparent that the car was very very good at crossing country very very quickly. But the types of speed needed to be 'fun' would have left a very large hole in the countryside if it all went wrong. The Trophy is fun at 30.

Reaction score
350's sound awesome though..

Yeah i think I just get urges (probably about 6 times a day) to get another car lol. I spend most my time on pistonheads!!

Reaction score
Urges are normal. One of my Brothers is buying a different car every week!

Harry, if you are reading, we'd like to know why someone that is fortunate to drive the best drivers cars in the world and also owns a Pagani Zonda, finds it necessary to own a CT? And why haven't you upgraded to newer machinery?

Reaction score
Although I thoroughly enjoyed 415, and really regret having not done a track day or two in her during my three years of ownership, I am more than happy with the Mk V Golf R32 that I have bought as a replacement vehicle. Plenty of grunt, grip and growl, although the V6's appetite for Shell V Power is a little alarming after the Trophy!

Reaction score
Although I thoroughly enjoyed 415, and really regret having not done a track day or two in her during my three years of ownership, I am more than happy with the Mk V Golf R32 that I have bought as a replacement vehicle. Plenty of grunt, grip and growl, although the V6's appetite for Shell V Power is a little alarming after the Trophy!

R32s sound lovely!