Ajr

Reaction score
Scary half hour for me and 427 earlier!

My road is one car wide and generally crap, went to see a mate, or tried to! Got to a very steep hill(going down) with some sharp corners and huge banks each side, a few people have lost control and rolled there! Anyway going very slow, abs kicks in and cuts the brakes, so i'm speeding down it on snow heading for the corner, foot jammed as hard on the brake pedal as possible and luckily the abs somehow woke up and got me down :shock:

After that i was suitably pissed off. There's another hill(uphill this time) straight after the bottom of the last one, i made it about 3/4 of the way up with the esp light flickering before the car started sliding sideways before eventually coming to a halt, even now the abs was working overtime, the car started sliding backwards, and as the road is cambered heavily towards a hedge with a big drop into the valley on the other side, i stopped and turned the esp off to see what i could do, and started making progress up the hill, then got stuck again, put the brakes on and all 4 wheels locked sending me sliding back down the hill, turned esp back on quick sharp which regained some control, the trophy decided it wanted to slide even though i was only using the brakes very carefully and slower than walking pace so i tried accelerating which just sent me into the bank, just the wheels at low speed luckily! So it took me half an hour of skidding down the hill backwards, and often with the car deciding to head at an angle to the road, and i made it back to the bottom, parked up and decided to walk home!

My lesson from this is that trophys don't do snow.

Reaction score
wow that must have been icy.

would liked to have seen you try walking up!! £250 off YBF by the sounds of things! :lol:

Reaction score
I learnt the same thing this evening trying to go up 1 of the few hills in Norfolk. The Trophy wasn't liking it at all. Esp was on the whole time tried it with it off but didnt help either.
Ended up driving home at about 15mph just.
In future I'll take the other car at least that way I don't have to worry about putting the Trophy in a ditch.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Oh dear...

Mind you, you should try living halfway up a mountain in Wales... :lol: That said, my girlfriend has the worst deal as she has an EP3 Civic Type-R and if you think the Trophy is bad in snow you ain't seen nothing! :shock: :shock:

Glad you and the Trophy are [presumably] both alright. :D

Ajr

Reaction score
IvArkGraham - I've driven in the snow and ice plenty of times no problems, the clio is the first car i've had that's really had problems! The ASR on the vRS was far better at tackling snowy slopes, and to be fair there is 15cm+ of snow laid on top of a thick layer of ice, and i live in the middle of nowhere on the top of a hill!

Heard CTRs were awful in the snow :lol:

I was so scared the trophy was going to get damaged, i'm pretty sure it's ok although i'll walk down tomorrow to check it and inform the people who's drive it's in that it won't be there too long :oops:

Got an important meeting on tuesday in bicester with the MOD so i absolutely must get the trophy out of the valley tomorrow at some point :shock:

Reaction score
Buy a Subaru. My Impreza just loves snow and ice. Got up and down several hills here in Sevenoaks without a drama when I took my wife and kids to school. Only sliding I did was when I got out of the car and tried to walk down my drive to the front door! Needless to say, the Trophy is going nowhere this week until things thaw out

Ajr

Reaction score
I was only thinking about buying a hilux the other day for our trip accross the world, and it'd be damn useful! Saying that a scoob is probably more fun 8)

The trophy isn't going anywhere today as the road is totally snowed under, with plenty more coming down!

Reaction score
Maybe you should go for a Forester turbo. Looks a bit like a Tonka toy, but has the same engine as the Impreza and is immensely practical, as well as quick - a real Q car. You can pick them up for silly money too, and they are good for 200,000+ miles if regularly serviced. Go for a 2003MY+ model and you will only have to have it serviced once a year as well

Reaction score
I watched a navara in B&Q carpark lastnight, donughting about with a couple of guys being towed behind it on a sledge - looked like great fun :D I took the T out last night to find somewhere to practice a little snow driving - I figure the experience is always worthwhile. Girlfriend didn't find quite the enjoyment from it that I did..

Reaction score
im struggling a bit too the thing that really pisses me off is that mid january when there was no snow the gritters where everywhere slamming salt all over my car now theres snow and where are they? all the roads round me are barely visable :evil:

Reaction score
Light car, big wheels - never a great snow combo.

Mind you, I spent the day driving an empty Jumbo Transit (torquey & RWD). That had its moments I can assure you...

Ajr

Reaction score
Went back today to try and get it up the hill, but didn't even get as far as last night! Looks like not a single person had driven up the road either, simply because to get to that point was hard work.

So the clio is parked back where it was last night for tonight too :(

I did however take some pics!

Neighbours pond is frozen solid:

009-1.jpg

Neighbours drive is well covered:

010-1.jpg

Holly bush

015.jpg

Private drive, some guy in a hilux surf proceeded to drift down it for a laugh!

016.jpg

Nasty corner at top of hill:

017.jpg

The hill i skidded down last night!!!

018.jpg

019-1.jpg

020-1.gif

021.gif

022.jpg

023-1.gif

024.gif

Clio, 18 hours after i left it:

025.gif

Icicles init!

026-1.gif

Back up the damn steep hill, this time running:

027.gif

028.gif

Can see harrisons rocks have a coating of snow in the distance:

029.gif

Snowy woods!

031.gif

Signpost up the road, i live part way to groombridge from the sign, and my car was at the bottom of motts mill, over a mile from home!

033.gif

034.gif

Gate to nowhere lol

035.gif

Reaction score
couple of pics i got this morning :)

Attachments

• Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Image005.jpg
    Image005.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 34

Jay

Reaction score
I didn't even bother taking mine out this morning :wink:

P1010337.jpg

However, we did pop down the stables in the meggy to feed our horse

P1010302.jpg

Reaction score
The T and a neighbours V6, who having spotted the T likes parking next to me. Not going anywhere soon. Although I did break out the 106 Rallye at midnight last night and spent a few hours playing Rallye Monte Carlo for real. No problems with ABS, traction control; it doesn't have either...Dropped some air out the tyres and spent the evening polishing up my left foot braking technique!

[attachment=2:46yu9a8v]P1020513.JPG[/attachment:46yu9a8v]

[attachment=1:46yu9a8v]P1020516.JPG[/attachment:46yu9a8v]

[attachment=0:46yu9a8v]P1020519.JPG[/attachment:46yu9a8v]

Attachments

• P1020513.JPG
    P1020513.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • P1020516.JPG
    P1020516.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • P1020519.JPG
    P1020519.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 34

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
the wide tyres don't help - you could try the Finnish trick to reduce the pressure to around 15 bar - this' would get you up the hill but without a foot pump to blow them up again you could be stuck.

try living at the top of the Pennines - i can't even see the car - it's under about 6ft of snow.

Had fun driving back up from Brum in the Leon, amazing how many other people haven't a clue how to drive in the snow - braking every 200 yards, idiots.