Reaction score
Having finally done a few miles in the Trophy it stikes me how poor the gear change is, there's a complete lack of feel and the throw is too long, it also seems to have a longer throw rearwards then forward, i also noticed this on a 172 too.

What have people done to improve this? is there a kit available?

Thanks Chris

Reaction score
our R27s gearbox is really sweet...even if the 5th gear is pointless...the trophys dont bother me either way and neither did my 172s
you need to look deeper...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
lol, a few have fitted short shifters, but depending on your sixe it can lead to having to reach for the gear leaver.

Ajr

Reaction score
It's not weighted enough really.

French gearboxes always have and will be crap.

I miss my 3 series, had a Z3 short shifter on, the transmission tunnel raises the gear shift mech up and it's in a perfect position, gear change is nicely weighted, precise, feels very positive and is very short, and a real leather mtech gearknob & gaiter makes a mockery of the plastic crap on the clio.

kam

Reaction score
You could get a weighted gear knob which will improve the feel.

I fitted a short shift kit to my M5 and the weighted gearknow from the Z4M was essential to get the best feel for gear changes.

Other options is to attach some weight to the shift lever just below the gear knob.

Reaction score
It was quite a long-throw and light gearbox but it never bothered me and gave me no complaints. Its not the most important thing.

The 197 Cup (and probably 197) has a really short-throw gearbox though, it really takes some getting used to.