Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Re: 2005 Renault Clio Trophy, over 7K spent! Big Spec!

Does look tidy. Some may however argue that you may not get that price as in theory it's not a Trophy any more as the key selling point/feature to these cars has been removed meaning the value of it would be lower then a Trophy.

Good luck with the sale though!

Reaction score
Trophy No.

You may find more than "some" arguing that, personally if I was in the market for a Trophy I would want a Trophy with Sachs. You argue that it's a bargain because you have spent £7k on it, I would say it now needs how much spent on it to bring it back to standard.

Reaction score

7k of work...really ?
I'd agree with J ^ in essence this ain't a trophy anymore, apart from the colour and a plaque.
Although the brakes are a wise upgrade.

Reaction score

I have receipts for over £10k from Renault (car has done 172 miles) - that doesnt mean the car is worth £10k more ...

Reaction score

Nice car though for the right person. Not everyone wants a standard trophy.

Reaction score

I like the way that people advertise Trophys when the suspension has been changed stating original Sachs front dampers need rebuilt, so they have fitted other dampers, it's a bit like everlasting gob stoppers from Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, fictitious. ALL dampers have a serviceable lifespan, no damper is everlasting, the fact the Sachs are race spec means they can rebuilt which I consider a bonus not a negative.

The H&R dampers are rebuildable & as with the Sachs will require a rebuild at sone point.

Good luck with the sale it looks like a nice car, I like the brakes a lot.

Reaction score

Swapping 4k's worth of near race spec suspension for 1k's worth of suspension is fine... IF you keep the standard suspension for when it comes to resale time... ie now. Tidy car though :D

Reaction score

MonkeyKnifeFight said:
Swapping 4k's worth of near race spec suspension for 1k's worth of suspension is fine... IF you keep the standard suspension for when it comes to resale time... ie now. Tidy car though :D

Yeah, I've never worked out how £1000 of suspension is better than serviceable race specification Sachs suspension coming in at £4000...?

Still, I like the brakes and the fact it's looked after. But i have to agree that many will be put off as it's essentially lost the usp of a Trophy. Dare I say it's 'just another 182 with coilovers'..?

Reaction score

£7000 for a red 182 cup? I'm out

Reaction score

"£7950 NO OFFERS! please do not call or arrange to view if you are looking to spend less."

That would put me off right away. Also, ask anyone who know their cars about the Trophy and the first thing that would come out of their mouth would be Sachs.

I would say if anyone is looking for a Trophy, they'd want it near standard as possible, the Sachs suspension being one of the main reasons for getting a Trophy. Even the Momo steering wheel would not be to everyone's taste. I'd be inclined to say you'd be better off restoring it back to standard and selling the custom parts separately. At least then you'd make near the asking price.

Reaction score

j333evo said:
I like the way that people advertise Trophys when the suspension has been changed stating original Sachs front dampers need rebuilt, so they have fitted other dampers, it's a bit like everlasting gob stoppers from Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, fictitious. ALL dampers have a serviceable lifespan, no damper is everlasting, the fact the Sachs are race spec means they can rebuilt which I consider a bonus not a negative.

The H&R dampers are rebuildable & as with the Sachs will require a rebuild at sone point.

Good luck with the sale it looks like a nice car, I like the brakes a lot.
Ye but everyone knows that Trophys wont sell unless you've had the dampers refurbed.....even if they dont need to be refurbed [-X :lol: But ye good luck with the sale, as has been said there will be a lot of people looking for standard Trophys, but there will also be people looking for one with tasteful, decent quality mods like yours

Reaction score

My old car - seeing that brings back a lot of good memories!

Good luck with the sale.

Reaction score

£1k worth of suspension setup by a guy in a shed vs £4k setup by Jean Ragnotti!

It's like going to the fat duck and sending the food back and asking for a burger king.

£8k? For a 182 Cup?

You could get low mile Trophy for that!

Reaction score

Absolutely awesome spec. Do you mind taking some more pics I really want to see how the car sits on coilovers

Also what are your thoughts on the h+r's over the sachs? I guess the rear end wont be as twitchy but does it understeer/oversteer more or any benefits

If you dont get the sort of money you want would you be willing to sell some of the mods as your car is pretty much the spec I want mine

Reaction score

The Trophy doesn't come with 4k of dampers, the rears are similar if not identical to the one fitted to other 1*2's albeit with a different part no, the fronts are the exception, the thicker piston allows for greater control and the addition of the external resevior allows for a cooler running damper, by the means of a larger oil capacity.

Take off the inflated renault price for the dampers and you've probably got 1k's worth of front dampers, aside from the lack ride height adjustment, you'll struggle to better the control and feel of the sachs dampers for the uk roads, track work is a different matter.

I'd also question the use of 4 pot calipers on the front, i'd be very sceptical if they improved the braking capacity of the car against the stock set up with a good pad (pf97's) until someone can prove me wrong with real statistics then i'll stick by this comment seeing as i ran a trophy with the said pads against 4 potted cars (inc another trophy) and i could easily outbrake all of them (driver commitment is the variable)

Now not wanting to ruin this guy's ad for his Trophy #-o i have too agree with most of the comments above, it's now worth the same as 182 with the same mods.
Good luck with the sale, the right guy will pay your price, it could just take a while.

Edited to add, The 6 has got H&R's on it and i have to say they're pretty poor as far as high speed damping goes (that's not high speed as in mph) this was one of the real strong points of the sachs dampers on the Trophy, once Christmas is out of the way i'll be replacing them pss9's