Reaction score
It is obviously a damp sensor, that's all I can tell you, don't aim a pressure hose at the bonnet or front of the car! You shouldn't use one of those evil things anyway, they wreck the paint. It's preet obvious if it works before the wash and doesn't afterwards, it's water ingress in the electronics somewhere. Try leaving the bonnet open somewhere dry (!) and hope that it dries itself. It will affect acceleration if it's any number of sensors.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Not much help but it could even be an earthing problem. If one of your earthing connections is getting damp then the resistance will increase thus causing your car to behave badly. Alternatively, if you have an electrical connection elsewhere that is not entirely waterproof, the dampness could be causing tracking between positive and negative (albeit not enough to blow a fuse).

I'm afraid it could be a long and laborious task to identify. :x

Can I just ask how long you have had the car? and if it is a relatively short period of time, perhaps the previous owner knew about the fault and may be able to shed some light on it.

Sometimes electrical problems/gremlins are caused by accident damage where wiring hasn't been properly repaired. :(

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
sounds as though it only happens after you've washed it. Steve & Lee have come up with the only two things I think it could be. First thought was sensors but that would not be just diagnosed when your washing the car. Electrics are more of probable explanation.

Reaction score
Shouldn't the fault show up when plugged into machine at dealers? Never came across an issue where machine has been unable to diagnose a fault

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
just another point on this....

you know when the car's cold and you get that drop off in power for the first few seconds while the ECU wakes from it's slumber.....

mine did it at 70 on the motorway this weekend when the engine was fully warmed up..... not good at all, is this a symptom of the O2 sensor going west?