Reaction score
Trophy No.
OK a quick question for you phone geeks(no offence :) ) out there;

Blackberry Storm or I-phone?

Reaction score
No offence taken :lol: :wink:

Marrow asked me for some feedback on the iPhone - here's what I sent to him...

iPhone 3g. Where to begin! It's a great tactile device; it looks fabulous... It also has masses of apps being developed for it, some of which are free to download.

- 3G is an interesting concept - I think I've had 3g connectivity on, ooooh, 2 occasions for a total of about 30 seconds.. Pretty poor I'm sure you'll agree (especially seeing as I live and work close to London), but then that's not the phone, it's the network. Internet browsing is excellent otherwise. The way that it allows you to zoom in and out is a lovely touch and the rotation of the screen between portrait and landscape is nicely executed. Being able to open multiple web windows is another good design feature - though you can't have them running at the same time, but to be fair, you wouldn't want to anyway. Unfortunately it can't handle flash, which I'm lead to believe is not the case with some other phones and I don't think it can handle java either but I'm yet to be limited by these issues. Also, safari (the browser) doesn't like hotmail which is a pain - I have to use mobile hotmail which just doesn't compare.

- Battery life is nothing short of abysmal - 2 days at the most.. I've even turned the screen brightness down! If you use the web much or use the GPS/Sat nav, the battery dies considerably faster. Take into account the fact that when the battery goes, you can't just buy a new one - you'll have to send it off to Apple for a replacement (take into account the fact that contracts are 18 months.. :? ).

- Text messages are great in as much as they are shown as a conversation. BUT, you can't forward sent or received messages or edit and reuse messages. You can't do media messaging- but you can probably get round this via email but then that simply isn't the same. You have to pick up media messages on the web. I also found that even a contact sent to me in a non text message format ended up being treated in this way.. Also, you have to delete an entire conversation; you can't delete just one message.

- Media - with regards to using the iPhone as an iPod - on the basis of battery life, and the fact that I have an iPod, I don't have any MP3's on my iPhone.. That would be my only reason for wanting the 16gb over the 8gb.

- Typing - I don't know what it's like to use a blackberry but I can assure you that typing on the iPhone is not a pastime that I enjoy - the keyboard is tiny and you simply don't realise that there's a part of your finger, not the tip, which is actually touching the screen first..

GPS - is pretty slow and cumbersome and will only work with an internet connection so that you can download the map from google maps. There are rumours that tomtom are developing GPS software but I am yet to see any evidence. A number of times I have used the sat nav and it has been slow enough that I've missed my turning. It also doesn't talk to you..

I have to say that I do really like the design of the calendar.. Oh joy, I've found one more positive thing to mention...!!!! Oh actually the visual voicemail is a smart touch - provides you a list of voicemails from which you can choose any one to listen to or delete - much better than calling 901 and waiting for frickin' ages whilst the annoying voice prompts play.

So on the whole, yes I like the phone but I would be highly tempted to shop around and check out the alternatives - Blackberry have brought out a direct competitor, even Sony ericsson have too... (For years I've been a SE devotee and I must say that if they had produced their handset when I bought my iPhone, it wouldn't have been a one horse race..)

My Girlfriend has a BlackBerry Pearl and has never had any trouble with it at all - it is to all intents and purposes, a business device - no funky cool features, just black and white functionality, though the new one should be somewhat more 'cool'.

I hope this helps - you should take a look at an iPhone and have a play.. It really depends upon what you want from the phone. Oh and if you do get an iPhone, get a case - Sena ultraslim are the bee's knees.. though I lost mine on the train home from a Belgian bar in Covent Gdn last Friday.. D'oh :oops: ..Those beers were rather strong!! :oops:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I would wait a bit and see whats coming out after xmas with android. Some of the big boys are going to come out with android phones(thats googles operating system) and its open source so there will be loads of cool apps on it.

If I had to choose I would go for the strom, which seemed pretty good when I played with a friends. All apple products your paying a tax for a second rate product but loads of people seem to think there great. But that really applies more to macs.

Reaction score
Gazza said:
I would wait a bit and see whats coming out after xmas with android. Some of the big boys are going to come out with android phones(thats googles operating system) and its open source so there will be loads of cool apps on it.

If I had to choose I would go for the strom, which seemed pretty good when I played with a friends. All apple products your paying a tax for a second rate product but loads of people seem to think there great. But that really applies more to macs.

Oiiii, I just bought an imac!!! (designer's choice...) - I have to say that I am very pleased with it too, although I don't think I will ever be as techy with it as I am with PC's - it just doesn't encourage that sort of use...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
sorry dude, hungover and a bit bitter this morning. The thing I dont like about them is you pay a lot of money and the hardware you get is pretty average at best. My 2 year old pc is still more powerful than the mac range although they are going to beef it up next year. So your really paying for the operating system which is good and the fact that people think they are cool, which is a joke. If you want an alternative to windows go linux, have a dual boot system with windows and ubuntu or something and your sorted.

this is the second thread we've hijacked today quick5i1ver! lol

back to the topic, the iphone has a inbuilt motion sensor so there may be a g force app for it. Like on my phone which although cool i still haven't used. Great excuse to push the trophy but whether I could while keeping an eye on my phone is another matter

Reaction score
(offtopic) Serial thread hijackers haha! (offtopic)

On the mac subject it's my belief that although not as highly powered, they're better than equivalent PC's because all components have been put together as a specific package - there shouldn't be compromise between components if you understand my drift. I could be wrong but that's the impression that I get.. I was in 2 minds over mac or PC but I as I want to get into graphic design, I ultimately figured that it was worth being well versed with both mac and PC. When it comes to pragramming I will probably feel more at home with a PC simply because I'm used to fidling around with the various system tools and resources which I have never touched on the mac but I will cross that hurdle when I get to it..

BACK ON TOPIC!

The iPhone does have a motion sensor and I have downloaded an app called Rev Lite which has a 'G' meter, measuring multi dimensional accerlerative/decelerative G forces.. am yet to use it though. They also talked about the full version eventually being released with an OBD reader but I'm not sure I'd worry about that...!!

If you get an iPhone, the iPint and Lightsaber should be amongst the apps that you download... :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
God you really are geeks :lol: :lol:

You hijack away, that's fine, never do it myself of course :^o

Thanks for the info, i'm actually not that gadget orientated, i like them but quickly get bored. I really use my phone mostly for texting and to go online and the one i have is slow and painful to use so at the moment i'm warming to the Blackberry.

Reaction score
"Belgian" bar? You weren't at the Bierodrome across from their restaurant Belgo's were you? ;-)
If it wasn't for work giving me a Blackberry, I'd still be using a retro 2002 poverty spec Nokia. For me the Blackberry is grand for using google maps, gmail, synched up for work email, txts and the occasional interweb browsing...wouldn't use it for anything else in fairness.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
God you really are geeks :lol: :lol:

You hijack away, that's fine, never do it myself of course :^o

Thanks for the info, i'm actually not that gadget orientated, i like them but quickly get bored. I really use my phone mostly for texting and to go online and the one i have is slow and painful to use so at the moment i'm warming to the Blackberry.

The cheek! - ask for info and then insult us! :roll:

I think the StrawBerry will probably suit your needs, although, as I say, check out the Sony Ericsson - I can't remember the model number at this precise moment.. :D

duffer987 said:
"Belgian" bar? You weren't at the Bierodrome across from their restaurant Belgo's were you? ;-)
it was Lowlander in Drury Lane - I really like it in there - although it's fairly pricey for drinks, it's a nice place and the food is quite reasonable for a bar too.. CT.co.uk Christmas do anyone? :wink:
Was lucky enough that Katie waited for 20 mins at the station to pick me up. Was a little mashed - very unusual for me :oops:

Reaction score
i think the Sony Ericsson is the X1!! I'v been looking at that for the missus as she wants a blackberry so was looking at other alternatives!!!

I am also a huge apple fan but couldnt do with the iphone or any touch screen phone as i text a lot but the X1 had a slide out qwerty keyboard!!!

While we're on the subject too i have just purchased a 24" imac and had an ibook G4 before that and don't think i would go back to a pc!!!

MC

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well i've read good and bad reviews for the storm, inbetween dealing with pesky customers, so i think i'll make full use of the cooling off period and then try the X1 as that looks good and has the real qwerty keyboard and i assume a lot of the functions will be similar to the sony ericson i have now.

Reaction score
MC45 - that's cool on the mac subject - do you use them pruely for pleasure or business?

My mate should be receiving his X1 tomorrow - I'll update on here when he lets me know how he's finding it :)

Reaction score
Hopefully the x1 is good, ive got got my upgrade today! I wanted the iphone, but have to ideally stay on vodafone for the friends and family deal! The keyboard is vey very useable from what ive used so far (putting contacts in), although is is quite heavy and bricky!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hoolio said:
Well i've read good and bad reviews for the storm, inbetween dealing with pesky customers, so i think i'll make full use of the cooling off period and then try the X1 as that looks good and has the real qwerty keyboard and i assume a lot of the functions will be similar to the sony ericson i have now.

Don't count on the X1 being similar to previous sony ericson phones as its actually made HTC and not Sony. It runs on windows mobile, that has been tweaked to give more main stream interface. If my old phone hadn't given up the ghost before this came out I would have waited for it.

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
MC45 - that's cool on the mac subject - do you use them pruely for pleasure or business?

My mate should be receiving his X1 tomorrow - I'll update on here when he lets me know how he's finding it :)

I use mine mainly for pleasure! but I have introduced a few mates to mac and they use them for business and also say they wouldnt go back!

Im off for a look at the X1 today and try and blag vodafone to sort me one out as the c902 i have is s**t and keeps turning itself off etc!!! :evil:

Reaction score
What's windows mobile like these days? - My girlfriend had a one of the xda's with windows mobile and it was rubbish... Poor performance and regularly crashed...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
quik5i1ver said:
What's windows mobile like these days? - My girlfriend had a one of the xda's with windows mobile and it was rubbish... Poor performance and regularly crashed...

As long as you dont mind playing around with the settings a bit its great but for anyone who wants a phone to work right out the box should think twice. But thats why manufacturers like HTC and Sony put there own user interface on top. Unfortunately that can slow things down but it all depends on which phone you get.

Would put a link but site appears to be down. If you want a good forum for the X1, Google: x1 and xda developers forum.

Reaction score
If anyones getting an x1, a guy called simon (business manager) in the chelmsford vodafone shop, did me the phone free, £35 a month (600mins, 3000text and unlimited internet) on a 12month contract (upgradeable after 10 months) which no one else can seem to within a mile of getting a deal close to it! Hence me not getting the iphone. (He did it as a new contract not an upgrade, so i lost my number which was the only downside)