Reaction score
Norwich Union is offering PAYG insurance... i.e. pay per mile of driving, capped up to the limit of what your policy would normally cost on a normal plan.

It's great for younger drivers, and also good if you do minimal mileage a year.

Here is the link for more info: http://www.norwichunion.com/pay-as-you- ... -works.htm

I really do think this is the way forward. It would also play a crucial part in any future road charging schemes that might be GPS based...

O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
future road charging schemes that might be GPS based...

The end of personal freedom and driving enjoyment. :cry:

I'm definitely liking the pay-per-mile insurance though, a brilliant idea. That way, people with virtually no experience on the road will pay next to nothing for their insurance! :lol:

Seriously though, now I'm walking to work I might consider this, I paid £900 for my insurance and thought that was good at the time, but I'm 27 now and it's only a shopping trolley FFS. :roll:

Reaction score
g40steve said:
They ain't doing it for us, it's cover for them :!:

Exactly.

As has been mentioned it's the thin end of the wedge with regard to pay as you go road charging too (thought we already have that covered with the tax on fuel?) I just wish instead on trying to legislate against everything they would give us an alternative and encourage its to change our habits - ie the carrot rather than the stick approach. I'd be happy to stop communting in the car if it was viable....

:x I could rant on this for hours! :D

Reaction score
fazedesign said:
g40steve said:
They ain't doing it for us, it's cover for them :!:

Exactly.

As has been mentioned it's the thin end of the wedge with regard to pay as you go road charging too (thought we already have that covered with the tax on fuel?) I just wish instead on trying to legislate against everything they would give us an alternative and encourage its to change our habits - ie the carrot rather than the stick approach. I'd be happy to stop communting in the car if it was viable....

:x I could rant on this for hours! :D

Hmmm I could go on about this forever too! This issue is quite close to me due to the work I've previously been involved in.

I guess I can see both the good and the bad. The alternative transport exists. Tubes existed in London but congestion never really dropped until people were forced to take public transport (cue London Congestion Charge). The opportunity to change habits was always there but the public never took it.

Also, I do believe road charging is the way forward (*ducks for cover*) and I can cite various studies in the world of where it has worked (and I do really know this stuff in detail from the manufacturers of the devices and chip based heat resistant cash cards of Singapore to international policy - trust me!) :)

That said, I still want to be able to drive my car on the weekends for free, and of course to pay nothing more than I currently do.

There are so many options being considered (e.g. reduction in fuel duty and registration tax offset by a pay per mile tax - drive 10 miles a year and pay hardly anything; drive 20,000 miles and pay lots) that it is unfair for me to pass judgement on any of the schemes until something concrete is decided. For example, charging may only take place at peak hour.

Either way, it's going to happen in some form or another - even if it is down to the local cities to implement the policies (e.g. London).

Now I'm off to take cover!!! :twisted:

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
RATATATATATATATATATATATAT!!!!! (sprays machine-gun fire in Ollie's direction)

Good points Ollie and it's obvious you know what you're talking about, but I'm a moderator now and I don't want to have to change your tag to 'Fascist'!

Reaction score
lol Steve... I know, this is turning into a dangerous place!!! ;)

O.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong ollie - I can see the the positive aspects of road charging (never thought I'd hear myself say that!) but I don't trust the goverment not to use it as a way of screwing more money out of the motorist. They'll still retain all their other taxes and just squeeze harder to see if there is any money left.

Public transport in this country is f***ked - I have tried to use it to get to work on two of my last three jobs and its hopeless, I'd currently have to leave for work over an hour earlier to get there on time. Mass transport can work in cities like London as there are a lot of people going the same way at similar times, but Britains facilities are way below par. Japan is a shining example of how good a rail network can be - when I was there I only moved about Tokyo and the surrounding area by train and ever single one was on time and spotlessly clean. I firmly believe that if such a high quality network was available in the UK then people would make use of it - sure there would be inertia but I think it would happen.

Edited to add: My other major objection to such schemes is the monitoring of everyones movements & the potential to include speed limiting/enforcement technology under the pretence of "safety" as I don't think that slow is necessarily safe, its more to do with driver ability.

It is a fundamental belief of mine that the policies of goverment should be aimed at improving general standards of education/driving/whatever rather than "protecting us from ourselves" and legislation based upon the lowest common denominator.

BTW Ollie - what do you do? PM me if you'd rather not say on the forum!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
fazedesign said:
Edited to add: My other major objection to such schemes is the monitoring of everyones movements & the potential to include speed limiting/enforcement technology under the pretence of "safety" as I don't think that slow is necessarily safe, its more to do with driver ability.

It is a fundamental belief of mine that the policies of goverment should be aimed at improving general standards of education/driving/whatever rather than "protecting us from ourselves" and legislation based upon the lowest common denominator.

Filled out the online form for this earlier for a bit of fun/to see how much etc. It was interesting that they charge almost a quarter less for motorway driving than they do for the "more dangerous" 30-50mph roads

Reaction score
And they say speed kills.....

Someone on Safespeed was saying that his wife had a previous policy limited to 3k miles per year, and worked out that under the pay-as-you-go scheme, she'd end up paying much more.

:?:

Reaction score
fazedesign said:
A bit more on pay as you go insurance and the implications of having a black box fitted to your car....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 96,00.html

"The company, which expects to fit the boxes to 100,000 cars over the next year, said that the information would be given only to police investigating a crash and would not be used to issue speeding penalties"

I'm a bit sceptical of this and am sure that at some point they'll use the blackbox to start seeing what speeds you are actually driving at. Very big brother..... :twisted:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
congestion charges are another way of hiding extra car tax, which is meant to be for improvements in road development.....