Reaction score
Is there any reason not to replace the standard filter with an after market panel filter?

I've read that induction kits are pointless unless you have a re-map, which i'm not going to do. So is it ok to pop a new panel in, is there any point, what difference will it make?

Reaction score
Thats a complete load of rubbish, all chips for the Trophy only adjust the timing and fueling.

They cannot map a chip to the mods you have on your car as there would be 1000's of chips available for loads of different mods that people have done to their cars.

I think you will find most companies offering chips are all adjusting the same things on the engine as its only a 2ltr 16v engine there isant much you can adjust.

If you fit an induction kit you will not have to have it remaped at all.

Ive learnt this from fitting parts to my car with fitting a chip also.

I dont understand how people think if they fit a Induction kit they have to get it chipped.

Every car ive owned from 17 ive fitted induction kits on. And have never had to have a car mapped for fitting just an Air filter.

A tip of advice Ive just bought a Simota Carbon Aerofoam Induction Kit. This is the ONLY induction Kit on the market for the 172/182 trophy to actually have a Trumpet in the design of the kit.
They have looked at the standard Renault Airbox that also has the trumpet.
They have copied this Trumpet into their Induction Kits design aswell.

It works very well and only a few people have them at the moment but due to the Trumpet design in the Filter it produces the most amount of power for a Clio i have seen.
A chap called steve with a NON chipped 182 got 13bhp more from the SImota kit fitted rather than the Standard Airbox which was run on the rollers before.
This car had a full Milltek Exhaust With Decat.
13BHP is quite allot of power From just a Induction kit at its £225 cost its the cheapest way to get 13bhp from your Engine.

Reaction score
Well from what i've read, people mention that the air\fuel ratio may need adjusting if an induction kit is fitted.

i dont know enough mechanically to argue right or wrong so i'll keep digging for the defintive answer, (did someone mention that there are Renaultsport 'experts' that work for Reno on another site?)

cheers for the replys.

Reaction score
PaulTrophy002 said:
It works very well and only a few people have them at the moment but due to the Trumpet design in the Filter it produces the most amount of power for a Clio i have seen.
A chap called steve with a NON chipped 182 got 13bhp more from the SImota kit fitted rather than the Standard Airbox which was run on the rollers before.
This car had a full Milltek Exhaust With Decat.
13BHP is quite allot of power From just a Induction kit at its £225 cost its the cheapest way to get 13bhp from your Engine.

13bhp from an induction kit alone!? Was this fitted before or after the exhaust & decat? What is the car claimed to be putting out with the combined intake and exhaust mods?

Reaction score
PaulTrophy002 said:

I thought you wrote that the 13bhp was achieved with the decat exhaust fitted? Then surely the cost of the exhaust (say £600 fitted, at least?) and the induction kit would mean that the 13bhp actually cost circa £825?

Or did the induction kit generate the 13bhp all by itself?

A chip, at £350, is only another 42% more to spend...

I know you doubt chipping the car but you need to look at the facts. Nik on this forum has a Group N ECU (from memory... correct me if I'm wrong Nik!) and exhaust/intake mods as does 7Mat... and they are both producing substantial amount of gains over the stock output.

PaulTrophy002 said:
They cannot map a chip to the mods you have on your car as there would be 1000's of chips available for loads of different mods that people have done to their cars.

Again, I'm not too sure where you're getting your information from. You can tune a car on a rolling road to match ones modifications. You then get mapping unique to your car.

But in most instances chips exist based on a rough benchmark. A chipping company will do a rolling road tune with a modified car (e.g. one with exhaust and intake). They then record the optimal parameters and then sell the chip 'off the shelf' to those with the same mods. When you think about it there aren't really thousands of combinations. It's normally that you either have exhaust or intake mods, or both. So that is three combinations. If you have cams etc. then you will probably need to search a bit harder or do a custom rolling road tune.

There are few members on here that can back me up with proof having had an intake/exhaust fitted and then realised power gains by having their engine chipped to take full advantage of the mods.

Cheers,

O.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
rojer386 said:
Can of worms has just been opened, lol!

Big time....

Paul, are you suggesting that it's not worth remapping or buying a new chip as it doesn't make any difference. Or are you saying as you can get 13 bhp from a new exhaust and IK, then remaps are pointless???

Not sure what the point is but either way; Fitting an exhaust alone will increase engine efficiency. Obviously this depends on the exhaust that is fitted but say it's a decent aftermarket one then do we agree this is the case.. yes?

ok, as a Trophy is mapped to standard engine parameters and self 're-mapping' is minimal compared to an external remap then surely better performance can be obtained from remapping the car????? you can then tailor the car for outright 0-60, top speed, fuel efficiency, or a good combination of the 3.

A new ECU allows even greater adjustablity. This is why to get optimum performance from an exhaust, IK etc people also fit new ECU's and go for remaps.

Think of it a computer - fitting a faster DVD rewriter or larger HD will have some effect, but with a better processor they will perform better.