Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this with you all. I was checking the ht leads and spark plugs and thought I'd paint the top manifold when I had it off. I used an airbrush (first time), connected to my compressor and 2k paint. I had the black from my last car and I got the capsicum red trophy colour.
I degreased and cleaned the mani with coarse wire wool. I hI taped up all the bits I didn't want paint on and then used an etch primer followed by red primer.
I covered the top part (that is painted red) and sprayed the rest black. It got 3 coats and dried overnight. Then I taped the black parts up and painted the top part capsicum red. Again it got 3 coats (the airbrush was perfect for getting between the embossed lettering) and then dried overnight.
Then I used a flat block and some 240 sandpaper to take the paint off the Renault Sport lettering. This was followed by 400 sandpaper and that was it! I didn't use lacquer as the paint was 2k.
The rest of the engine will get the same treatment over the Winter. I just want to drive it now when the weather is good!
I was really impressed with how good the airbrush was to use. It's as quick as a rattle can but gives much better control!

Attachments

• IMAG1172.jpg
    IMAG1172.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Cheers Fellas. I really want to paint the rest of the engine now but I'll leave it until Winter. I'm going to paint the top engine mount red and the rocker cover and lower manifold black.
I'll keep you's up to date!

Reaction score
what degreaser did you use ? ive got a spare fuel rail cover i want to have a go at, how much did the set of bolts cost you? thanks

Reaction score
Mickey I just used Panel wipe. You should be able to get it from any car shop that sells car paint. 5L is only about £15 or £20 and will last for years. Otherwise methylated spirits or similar will do. You might get the bolts in the same shop. They're just a 6mm Alan key cap screw. If not, go to a hardware shop or a place that does hydraulic hoses and fittings. They will have a supply of these bolts and may also have them in black if you'd rather have that.
Any other questions , just ask away.
Cheers,
Mark

Reaction score
Mikey I just used Panel wipe. You should be able to get it from any car shop that sells car paint. 5L is only about £15 or £20 and will last for years. Otherwise methylated spirits or similar will do. You might get the bolts in the same shop. They're just a 6mm Alan key cap screw. If not, go to a hardware shop or a place that does hydraulic hoses and fittings. They will have a supply of these bolts and may also have them in black if you'd rather have that.
Any other questions , just ask away.
Cheers,
Mark