Reaction score
So, with the Trophy now being the only car in our household, thus enjoying the odd long journey, I’m somewhat struggling with the drone from the Orbisoud exhaust at motorway speeds… It was never previously an issue because the car was only used at weekends, but during a recent trip to Oxford hovering around 65-70mph, the noise drove me insane (thank goodness I managed 39mpg.. That softened the blow a tad)!

Just spoke to Mark Fish who said he can fabricate an additional box, fitted between the Cat and back box for £200-£300, therefore replicating the soft version. However Hayward and Scott suggested it would be more cost effective to sell the whole thing and buy an entirely new system…

Any thoughts? Bare in mind that I will have to replace the cat as well as the rear end of the system, because the Orb comes as manifold back.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
How much is a used Orbisoud Exhaust worth these days?

Reaction score
If it was me and the noise is now too much,i would sell the Orb and look around for another system rather than cut up the Orb.

But its totally your choice.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I would swap it for my silenced milltek ;)

I'll up that offer with a drainpipe newly ripped from the side of the house ;)
Ben, I think I'd want at least £650 for mine.
Rich why have you not got your cat? I think I would be inclined to source a second hand one and then maybe get the centre section manufactured dependant on cost and that way you will still have a viable "Orb" If that was too much I would sell and start again.

Oh and BTW you're a big girls blouse ;)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
If I was in your shoes, I think I would just have the silencer welded on to the Orb. It would be a shame to get rid of a lovely system like that. Gib had the silenced version of the Orb on his Trophy and it sounded lovely.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I totally understand, just got back from a weekend in Scotland, the drone from the decated yozza was not pleasant on the motorway miles. As its mainly a weekend b road car i can put up with the odd long journey. Would defiantly want something a lot more quiet if it was the only car.

Reaction score
Hi Rich,
As a previous owner of a soft Orb I'd say it won't make all that much difference. I never thought mine was much more quiet than Jules'. I would also be tempted to look at the fit of it. I'm sure mine sounded louder inside than out because it was pulling tight on the boot floor like a drum. When I took the rear brackets off with the exhaust supported by a log it was much more bearable inside. Not sure how I would have solved that problem though and the neighbours are happier now.
It would be interesting to see what Hayward and Scott can do as they're local but maybe prospeed would be a safer bet if you're willing to go to Cardiff. My Scorpian is much more quiet and good for commuting but doesn't sound so good!

Reaction score
Cheers for all the comments guys.. Even Jules the blouse! Driving the car around for short journeys over the past few days reminded me how mucH I love the sound of the orb- the high end rasp is so worth the slightly boomy mid range.

I was speaking to Katie about it and although we both agree it's a bit of a nuissance For long distances, the frequency of our lengthy drives is sparse, on which basis, we're thinking Of living with it for now.

Luke, you raise a good point - it would be Interesting to see if there was a way dampen the brackets, to decrease vibration transfer to the boot floor. I did think your soft orb was much more comfortable at mway cruising speeds?

Ultimately I would be torn between both options of mod and swap - I recall stormduck's satisfaction with his BTB.. Could always consider that. Anyway, for now it's staying put and perhaps I'll try my vented ear plugs to see whether they allow conversation without drone!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Anytime Rich anytime. :) It is a problem that I have as well and my understanding is that it is resonance in the long centre section which I normally solve by modulating the throttle very slightly. I suppose you could try rubber washers between the mounting plates and the body but suspect that wont alter much.

Reaction score
My soft Orb was still really boomy once the car was hot. Not so bad for short distances or if you just take it easy. I found I just used to drive everywhere in a higher rev range! if I had to drive slow then I found my cheap motorbike in ear defenders from Halfords did a good job if I had a headache or hangover. I could still listen to the radio so might be alright for conversation.