Reaction score
Hello Cliotrophy.co.uk :)

This is my first post on the forum so ill try keep it relatively short!

I'm currently on the hunt for my second trophy. I sold my First Trophy roughly a year ago and miss it like mad! I'm a massive Honda man so have always had those as a rule but the clio just won me over the day i first drove it :) so...my friend is currently selling his Trophy who lives in the same town as me (makes life easy). Its No 463 and not currently registered on this forum. It's a true minter with full Renault service history. Clutch change and belt changes within the last 10K so it ticks all the right boxes apart from two... The dampers have never been refurbed so I'm budgeting that and the other issue that is bothering me is the mileage. It's currently on 82K. As its in my town 2 mins down the road plus the fact I'm getting it for a pretty good price should I overlook the mileage as its got a relatively solid history.

Just looking for fellow trophy owners opionions really. I know for some mileage isn't a problem but on a limited edition car personally I'd prefer lower... Offer all your thoughts please :)

Thanks - Danny

Reaction score
Well i would put it like this

A) you buy this one knowing it has been looked after get the dampers refurbed and enjoy it

B) up your budget for a lower mileage one

I'm thinking of putting sachs on my cup packed 182 but having never driven a trophy i don't know how 'good' they really are only by what has been said

simple as that imo

Reaction score
Depends what price you're getting it for I guess.
It also looks like the price of a damper refurb has come down quite a bit now that there is an alternative place to send them apart from BG Motorsports.
Personally I'd always go for the car that's been maintained the best irrelevant of mileage.

Reaction score
Well i would put it like this

A) you buy this one knowing it has been looked after get the dampers refurbed and enjoy it

B) up your budget for a lower mileage one

I'm thinking of putting sachs on my cup packed 182 but having never driven a trophy i don't know how 'good' they really are only by what has been said

simple as that imo

Upping the budget is out of the question at the minute. I'm just about to buy my first house and sold my previous civic and motorbike to gather my deposit. But I've spared some for a car purchase... I was just going to go with a normal 182 sport and was budgeting around £3500 and under but this ones comes up for not much more AND it's a trophy :) but I've never driven a standard 182 so can't comment. Thanks for your input :)

Depends what price you're getting it for I guess.
It also looks like the price of a damper refurb has come down quite a bit now that there is an alternative place to send them apart from BG Motorsports.
Personally I'd always go for the car that's been maintained the best irrelevant of mileage.

Yea I've seen the thread for cornering force. Ill deffo be using them, shame tho as I'm only 10 mins from silverstone where BG are based. This car has had 2 previous owners before my friend, a lady and a doctor. It seems to have definitely been maintained well with no expense spared seeing as all the works been carried out by Renault. The cars getting an MoT tomorrow so if it flies through I think I'll be snapping it up... The damper refurb isn't a necessity straight away anyway I guess.

Thank you

Reaction score
If you're buying it to use then history beats mileage all day long. For a collector/investor then I imagine lower mileage examples would be what they want, but not for you.

Buy it, drive it and enjoy it. Welcome back...they always come back ;-)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you're buying it to use then history beats mileage all day long. For a collector/investor then I imagine lower mileage examples would be what they want, but not for you.

This, but from what you say in your last post you seem to have done the search and made up your mind. Welcome :)

Reaction score
I don't believe he's sold the big miler to Nick172Cup, I think it's just a loan ;-)

Reaction score
Mileage is nothing. Service history is everything.

From fact the clutch had been changed and that it has full Renault history suggests me it has been well looked after to point of moneys no object. Clutch to me implies this as either 1, hes driven it like a madman and destroyed the clutch (sounds unlikely) or 2, it's been changed as per service schedule as Renault advise and not that it was needed.

Anyways I would never worry about mileage ever since I bought a low mileage car before the T and spent more on that than my 16 year old car I had before it.

Reaction score
Thank you for all your thoughts and opinions. Just what I needed :)

The cars in for its MOT tomorrow so providing all goes well I think I'll be another trophy owner by the end of the week. Ill keep you all posted :) then it's time to get the dampers sent off and possibly a GEO set up by Mark!

Reaction score
The only thing that surprises me is a clutch change with the mileage. My friends 172 has done 120,000+ miles and loads of track days & never needed a clutch. Though lots of stop/start driving can wear them out quicker than track work.

I live ten mins from Silverstone & never see any other Trophy's about here.

Reaction score
Yea your right about the clutch. I guess ill never know full extent as to why its been changed but I'd rater the piece of mind knowing that it has :)

I live in Banbury. There's two that are around here... I know the other one use to work with me at force India in brackley and pretty sure he still has it.

MOT for this car has been delayed till tomorrow now apparently so more waiting!

Reaction score
It could have needed a clutch due to any number of factors ie oil contamination, vibration etc.

ive seen clutches changed at less than 20k on clio's