Reaction score
Right, after a couple of runs with Cue & 7Mat (big thanks) on Sun.

Been looking at track events at Donington.

Can get £139 all day sessioned or £199 open pit lane, is there any benefit to either??

Any discounts available?

Any advice welcomed :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd always go with an open pit lane. Allows you to go out when its quiet, go at your own speed etc and gives you chance to allow the car to cool down a bit between runs.

Sessions can force you into running for too long, overheating breaks, tyres etc and if you get stuck behind some muppet who won't let you past your knackered.

Reaction score
Gotta say after going to Brands as a passenger with a friend, the Open Pit Lane structure seemed great.

As Cue said, give you a chance to do as more or few laps as you feel like you & the car are ready for.

We managed to bag quite a few very decent laps when the track went quiet.

Reaction score
I want to do a day where you get instruction first then go out on track - like a beginners day.

I d be very nervous taking my pride and joy out on track!!!

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
I want to do a day where you get instruction first then go out on track - like a beginners day.

I d be very nervous taking my pride and joy out on track!!!

Go do an Airfield Day first in that case :wink:

You'll learn alot more about your car than you could hope for than on a public road.
Plus there is NOTHING to hit.

There are also staff on hand that'll help with any issues you have too.

Then once you feel comfortable you can always move onto a track day.

Just my opinion bud :wink:

Reaction score
Open pit is a much better idea - as Cue says it's more of a come and go as you please

Also, I'm with 176 - having not done a track day in the Trophy yet it would be good having a chance on track at a quiet point so I can get a feel for the car

Reaction score
Sessions are a good way for beginners to get into the on track experience, instead of having up to 30 cars on track at once, quite often there will only be between 5 or 10 cars on track at any one time.

Having said that, now I have a bit of trackday experience I would only ever book an open trackday. Like the others I much prefer being able to choose when to go out on track and for how long.

Tuition is essential for beginners, I plan to get tuition at each new circuit that I visit as the tips and advice the instructors can pass on is invaluable. Just try to keep your wits about you at signing on time to bag you tuition early in the day.

I have heard novice days are really basic and that the actual time spent on track is not worth the cost.

The Renaultsport trackdays are really good, they are competitively priced, you can buy tuition and you get a stint in one of the Renaultsport supplied cars, accompanied by an instructor, so you get the benefit of their knowledge twice!

Do get out on track though, you won't regret it! :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
the reno days are brilliant for that. I've done many miles around the UK tracks and each new track I visit I always get tuition as the local race drivers are always a wealth of knowledge on how to take a corner quicker.

At the last one i went to @ brands I was taught a new line by a helpful chappy on the fast left hander after the lower straight (can't remember the corner's name) - it was not the natural racing line and cirtainly no-one else was using the line, i was approaching the next corner around 5-10 mph quicker though as a result - 0.5 second a lap?

I wouldn't worry about the circuit, if your an absolute novice you can't go wrong on the reno days. Get oulton park booked! They're good value, a friendly crowd, it's specific to your car so there's usually a techinical guy there to bounce ideas off. Plus you get to rag the latest reno offereings and then slate them for not being as pure as the trophy :p

Reaction score
Yeah looked on renault sport last night and think I may opt for Cadwell Park that looks pretty good and a snip at 129 pounds. Date is 18th September.

Reaction score
If you wont to do Donington open pit join up to http://www.trackaction-online.co.uk/index.php and get your name down for Donington you may even win your day for free.

Donington Park with Circuit-Days
Fri 31 August 2007
Full day open pit lane £199.00 less a 10% discount if your name is on the list below. We will also be giving away another FREE day to one lucky person who books via us, but your name must be on the list to qualify.

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Think i just put myself on the list :D

Do i need to put a deposit on this or pay in full??
Booking will be nearer the time and when you go to book if you have won it will be free :wink: But that free place is mine :wink: