OMG! Wrong oil shocker...

Reaction score
Help guys!

I spent this morning researching the right oil to use in the Trophy on here, as my level was at three quarters when I checked it yesterday.

Anyway, I decided upon Mobil 1 5W-40 Fully Synthetic.

I then went to Halfords in a bit of a spacey mood and bought a litre of Mobil 1 0W-40. I can't believe I did it. It's in my car. I was in a dream due to work on my mind etc.

Have I screwed my Trophy? Oh God, I hope it'll be okay. In a state of mild panic here! :oops: :shock: :evil: :lol:

Reaction score
I'm sure it'll be fine - they're both high quality synthetic oils, just with slightly different ratings. It's only a litre of it too, so it'll be far outweighed by the right stuff.

If you are worrying still then contact oilman who'll know for all the differences and whether you have any need to be concerned at all!!

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
As far as i know 0w40 is just thinner when cold than 5w 40, which seeing as were getting to winter isn't a bad thing.

People use 0w 5w and 10w in their clios, so i wouldn't worry.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
mixing oil is probably more of a worry than using 0w instead of 5w. as nik said it will just be thinner when cold which is a good thing - not sure what will happen if it has 10w in it also though....

amm

Reaction score
if you read your owners manual i am shore you can use lots of different grades of oil in the trophy i would probably change it if you are going to do a track day for a thicker oil but that is just me.
i know the Clio cup teams run 15w 40 in there cars .

Reaction score
Mobil 1 I'll have you know! Not the Halfords own-brand dodgy stuff... Anyway, fingers crossed T7PHY doesn't spontaneously combust!

:twisted: