Reaction score
hi folks,

been looking though the discussions on what oil to put in the trophy, silkoline 5-40 seems to be favored. can enybody recommed a good alternative. the car wont be doing eny trackdays over the winter. i need to do the the change saterday as im working solidly for the next 6 weeks and the silkoline i have coming wont be here in time.cheeres

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Shell Helix Ultra is suppost to be a very good engine oil,
you could try that coz you can pick it up from Shell garages,

Well you can buy it from my local shell garage anyways.

Reaction score
I'd recommend to try something other than Shell Helix Ultra, it's OK but not something I'd buy if looking for a top shelf oil. I use it in my Suzuki XL-7 and was using it in the wife's Mazda 6 - last service I changed the 6 to Motul Turbolight 10W40 and the engine is now noticeably quieter at idle (it had a noise that appeared after startup, which is now gone.)

I also swapped my RSC over to Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40 and it appears to run quieter than the Elf Excellium 5W40 I was previously using. The Motul 300V 5W40 would have been nice, but is a lot more costly.

Do a search on here as I noticed the guy from Opie Oils has posted quite a few oil related threads that are worth reading.

Reaction score
I'm sure I read somewhere that Helix Ultra is one of those "synthetics" that is actually based on a mineral oil?

But I think the Motul I use most likely is as well- only their 300 series oil specifically says what base stock is used?

Reaction score
how can it be synthetic based on mineral when synthetic means fully man made? helix ultra is my choice as well.

Reaction score
Because it's 'synthesised' from mineral oil base stocks. Motul and Silkolene are made from pure synthetic materials, no relation to oil out of the ground. It's called marketing, manufacturers make you think it's synthetic. Or want you to believe that anyway.

It's all about the esters. Have a look at the oilman's posts. You'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about oil.

Reaction score
I use the cheapest "fully synthetic" 5w-40 oil that meets ACEA A3 standard as per Renault specification for a 2.0 16v engine. I don't see the point of spending money on expensive branded oils especially since you will not notice any difference, even if you do the odd track day in a year/in between service schedules. Currently have Halfords 5w-40 fully synth which meets the ACEA A3 specification (rebranded Comma oil) not had any problems. Was on offer at £20 for 5 ltrs, bargain!