Reaction score
Hi all,

Just checked my oil (I use silkolene Pro S 5W-40) and I was under the impression fully synthetic oil should be clear(ish). Mine has, in the 1200miles since I changed it gone a dark brown, almost black. I have done a trackday though, although I wouldnt think it would turn it that colour!

Anything I should worry about or am I going paranoid...i don't want my engine to blow up!

Can the oil experts please stand up!

Cheers

Ollie

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Think this is a good advert for changing every 6k especially if you're doing some hard driving. Mine was pretty clear last change, seemed a shame to chuck it.

Reaction score
From my understanding this shouldn't be a problem, If you used good quality oil then there definitely should be no reason to change it after 1200miles. The reason it goes black is because there are tiny molecules of soot in the oil which causes no harm to the engine. But I cant say what's causing it to go so black in short time, I'm not an oil expert enough to say.

If you're really worried then I don't see any harm in changing the oil and the filter, easy job and inexpensive.

edit: A quick scan on internet and i found this...

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?sit ... _0312.html

Does the colour of the oil mean anything?

The colour of an oil has no special meaning, but depends on a number of factors, such as the refining process and the types of base oils, additives and crude oil used. Oil may turn a darker colour after use because it contains a number of suspension particles – the reason for this is that oil cleans the engine of particles and other deposits produced by the high temperature combustion, keeping the particles in suspension to avoid depositing them on the engine’s surface.

Sounds like perhaps the engine was dirty before your last oil change and the nice new oil has just picked up all the crap!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sorry, i misread that, did you mean 1,200m or 12,000m?

Not that i disagree with Ossie's post but i think i'd be changing again.

Ajr

Reaction score
It will be fine.
Have any of you ever changed the oil on a high mileage diesel engine? Now that's nasty stuff.
Dark brown is ok, thick black is not so good.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys, just wanted to check it want going to expire anytime soon!

Will keep an eye on it and give it a change next month I reckon when I have a bit of spare time!

Ollie