Reaction score
Hi,

Booking car in for service and enquired about prices if I provide my own oil. Woman tried telling me I need 5.5 litres of oil. I've done a search on past threads and I can't find any mention of needing more than 5 litres. The oil change guide in the forum suggests you only need 4.75 litres.

I ordered 5 litres from Oilman and just wanted to know if anyone can clarify for me before I start a bit of a discussion with the dealers.

Thanks for any help, Nick.

Attachments

• Meet and Orb 017.jpg
    Meet and Orb 017.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Meet and Orb 018.jpg
    Meet and Orb 018.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 2
  • Meet and Orb 019.jpg
    Meet and Orb 019.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Meet and Orb 020.jpg
    Meet and Orb 020.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
4.75 litres is the sump capacity and putting this much in will give you a max mark on your dipstick (ooh sailor). I put in the whole 5 litres, purely because there was no point keeping a little bit.

YOU DON'T NEED 5.5 LITRES. This is bull. Tell them you are more than happy to have just 5, thank you. Bloody stealers. Probably need an extra half litre to spill over your engine block.

Reaction score
I quoted 4.75 litres in the oil change guide as this is what Renault quote in the owners manual. Since then I've changed my oil twice, and I can confirm that a full 5 litre bottle will bring the oil level up to the max level.

I've now updated the oil change guide to advise that you will need 5 litres. :D

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are indeed correct!

Because I came away with half a bottle of oil - I had wrongly presumed that they had used 5.5 litres. But in fact I gave them 3 x 2 litre bottles and got a litre back. So 5 litres exactly!

Reaction score
Just had my 12k service yesterday and provided a 5 litres bottle of Silkolene oil, based on the 4.75 Renault recommend and the 5 litres mentioned here and was told when I went to pick up the car that I hadn't provided enough and was confused.
Sounds like a Renaultsport ask the experts question :wink:

Reaction score
Questioned my local dealer about how much oil I would need to supply for a service and they quoted 5.2 litres. As I've stated before, I've used 5 litres for both of my oil changes and the level reads as max on the oil level indicator on the trip computer, and just below max on the dipstick. I guess it is a case of 5.2 litres will bring the oil level to the absolute max capacity, but at the same time 5 litres will do the job...

To avoid any future confusion I've updated the guide to detail that you will need 5.2 litres.
:D

Reaction score
If they get 200ml of every schmuck bringing their own oil, they'll be able to take the oil from every 25th person and keep it! It's not good to overfill an engine, the oil pressure will be too high and the gaskets will suffer.

Reaction score
Here's my q&a with 'Renault Experts' on Renaultsport.co.uk:

duffer987 asked 182 Oil capacity-
Hiya, I had my 12k service yesterday and provided my own 5 litres of Silkolene oil. When I went to pick up the car I was told that I hadn't supplied enough and would need to 'top up'. According to the Renault manual supplied with my Trophy the oil capacity is 4.75 litres, hence 5 litres should be more than acceptable. Is there a discrepancy between the amount listed in the manual and the 'real' amount that is needed? A 225 oil query came up with 2 different amounts (5l and 5.4l) and wondered if there's a similar issue with the Clio. I'd like to know if any harm is being done to my car as I'm a few hundred mills short of what my Renault garage says I should have. Thanks for your time

Allen Collen responded on the 25-09-2006 -
You are correct in that the owners handbook states: 4.75 litres but if the oil filter is being changed the capacity increases to 5.1 litres. Provided that you operate between the min and max of you dipstick you will be fine - unless you have had you car at full throttle (for sometime) around either Thruxton circuit or Millbrook bowl...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i thought it was about 5.1 to 5.2 litres when you have a service as per above - the filter eats about a 0.1 litre. i bought a 1 ltr bottle to top up just in case the 5 ltr didn't hi the mark.

RS Tuning ( who did the service) said that 5 wasn't enough, it was just short of max.... presume it won't matter either way as what's 0.2 ltr between friends? :lol:

Reaction score
Well, I put 5 litres exactly in and the oil was slightly above the max mark on the dipstick, you can't beat doing it yourself to find out the truth!

P.S. I checked the oil again recently after covering 3000 miles since the change and it's still on the max mark. :D My 205 GTi used to use a litre every 1000 miles. It thought it was a two-stroke.