Reaction score
Hi everyone, as stated I've had an intermittent problem since i've owned the car. Got it checked out once before but nothing was found so I kinda just ignored it but when going along the M27 this morning it seemed to go mad.

A dull drone started up from the nearside front and got louder and louder and then it started to shake the steering, kinda like when you run on the solid white hard shoulder line. That didn't last for too long but the drone (by this time quite loud) continued. The car feels a bit odd when this is going on but it handles and goes like it should. The drone also after about 5 mins or so went away. It does this at all speeds.

Really confused by this as it sounds like a wheel bearing that's right on the verge of going but it's not constant as that would be. The wheel nuts are tight and the wheel doesn't wobble around. All feels tight and looks as it should do. I did a further 80 or so hard driven miles today and the problem never came back.

I do alot of motorway work and I'd rather my wheel didn't come flying off! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
How are the brakes? Binding caliper, sticky pad?

How is steering?

Reaction score
The brakes are fine, operate normally and it doesn't pull to either side. The steering does go slightly woolly when the vibration kicks in though but that stops when the vibration does. Just the droning continues and the feeling like im running over a small rumble strip if you see what I mean. And seemingly only on that nearside front.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Been pondering this for a couple of days and I can't come with anything other than bearing drive related, though have you checked that the balancing weights are still in position on that wheel?

Reaction score
No, must do that tomorrow though as it doesn't often do it i'm assuming they're fine, maybe the wrong weights have been added?

I wanted to pop into the dealer today and get them to look at the wheel bearing as that seems to be the most likely thing but like you both say it should do it all the time. Maybe it's early signs? Would a wheel bearing need changing at almost 42,000 miles on a Clio?
Plus i'm fairly sure a dying wheel bearing doesn't affect the steering, could be wrong there though.....

Does it also depend on how the car is used?

Reaction score
Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. Took it into my local garage as I thought a bearing had gone and it turned out a bit of the arch lining had ripped and was rubbing against the tyre.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This sounds very much like the sounds I am experiencing. A lot of people have told me it's road noise but not sure, perhaps it is just road noise.

May get new bearings on the front next year (had all else done!) and see if that helps.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
have you checked that the balancing weights are still in position on that wheel?

Still haven't managed to do this :roll: Must though now the good weather's back. The arch liners are fine though a few bolts are needed here and there.

There is more noise when it's happening but it's not really like road noise if you see what I mean. More like running over a rumble strip at very high speed. I agree about the bearings though, will get them all checked very soon I think!

Reaction score
Sorry guys, checked this a few days ago but didn't get round to posting, all wheel weights are fine and there's nothing that looks like it shouldn't be there or is coming loose.

There is more noticable noise coming from that corner though now, and also whenever you turn right you get a loudish grinding sound, just when you turn right and also only when your going quickly enough to put some real load on it.
The wheel still seems really solid when I grab it and try to wobble it.

I'm guessing this is now more than likely the wheel bearing, is this special to the Trophy or a normal 182 part?

Reaction score
I've started to get a noise On my trophy around same area

N/s/f but mine is slightly different.

You can hear a creaking noise when setting off taking up drive and when turning only at very slow speeds

I suspect shocker top mount

I can't feel anymore Play anywhere