Reaction score
My brother and i are off to the Nurburgring in early November.
Going to be hitting the 'ring hard for 2 days straight and was just wondering how people reckon the trophy will deal with this punishment on the car and the brakes especially?
I'm lucky enough to own a CSL but really wanna take the trophy because it's never been on track yet and i reckon the ring in November might be a little hairy for a car like the CSL. Also want to learn the 'ring and in a car like trophy this is easier i reckon because i can exploit more of the car's potential as oppose to reigning in the CSL all the time (i'm not exactly experienced at the ring, only been once!)
Any ideas would be appreciated

Reaction score
The Trophy will lap up the punishment! I took my standard 172 to the 'Ring last year and had no problems at all, and a few of the members off this forum have also been out there and had a weekends action with no issues.

Yeah the brakes could do with uprating for serious trackwork, so it may be worth fitting better pads and discs and some braided brake lines to give you a bit more confidence and performance. However I was doing two consecutive laps in my 172 and the brakes faired much better out there than they do on UK trackdays, just because the braking distances are more of an unknown, and I find it much easier to try and get close to the limits on a UK trackday rather than at the 'Ring.

Hope the trip goes well, make sure you post a report on your return! :D

Reaction score
I had PF97s, braided lines and Brembo discs while at the ring and was lapping far quicker than cars such as the Alfa track prepared training vehicles and a 130i (which I lost at the Carousel!).

I have only ever been once, but had a great time. The car is very predictable and you'd be hard pressed to get it out of balance.

I would definately suggest the PF97s before heading out... not too sure I'd trust the standard brakes at the 'ring!

Have fun :)

O.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The Trophy is excellent there, last weekend it just felt perfectly balanced and stable, with loads of grip and I was putting in some pretty quick laps.

I would recommend an upgrade from the standard brakes as on a 9-10 minute lap they will get quite warm. I ran the PF97's last weekend and they did two consecutive laps without fading at all. Something like Ferodo DS2500's would probably be sufficient though.

Have fun mate, I want to be back there already :(

Reaction score
Whats the best way to go about changing the pads, fluid and hoses? Regular Renault garage? I live in North London so if anyone knows the best place to get it done round here it would be much appreciated

Thanks for all the advice guys

Reaction score
I don't think most Renault dealers would be happy to fit aftermarket parts, having said that R-sport in Wimbledon would do it, so it may be worth giving them a call. If you don't mind travelling there is Rentech in Portsmouth who have built up a very good rep on this forum.

Reaction score
I hope the weather holds for you,
it starts to get extremely changable(more than usual!!!)

And if your planning on doing more than 30 or so laps i'd recommend buying the half season pass which costs 395 Euros.Will work out cheaper than buying a 25 lap + extra laps.

Have a great trip,and as it says on Ben Lovejoy site, DON'T TIME YOURSELF,you'll put yourself under to much pressure.

Reaction score
I did Zandvoort GP circuit, the Ring and Spa over 3 bone-dry days last weekend and had no problems at all on standard brakes. I was told I'd need upgraded lines, pads and would go through disks as well - tosh.

Pads were 20% worn when I had them checked by Renault last week at 6400 miles and they are still only 50% worn now, 1400 miles later. Bought a new set of OEM front pads from the Renault dealer next to the Spa circuit in Francorchamps - €69, bargain!

Will post videos from Ring and Spa soon.

Enjoy your trip. Good move taking the Trophy and not the CSL to the Ring until you get used to it. I sold mine to buy the Trophy and the Clio is more fun. One of the British CSL's at Spa on Tuesday spanked it hard into the armco at Pouhon - nasty :(

Rob