Reaction score
Hi

I dont know if you can remember my post a while back asking for your suggestions in getting a trophy given my age and insurance issues. I would like to thank eveyone fore their suggestions and thought i would update you on what i have done.

Well, after alot of consideration, i have gone out and bought a 182 FF with cup packs in Black/Gold.

24K on the clock
August 2004 so i have a month to get it checked out whilst under warranty
Body work is very good, minus a hair line scratch 3 inches long and a small dent on drivers door (the usual car park mark)
Unfortunately the alloys are scuffed quite a bit but im in the process of sorting those

All for £7300

Like i say not a trophy but as close as im going to get for now.

Picked it up today and the most fun ive ever had. 200 miles extra on the clock already

Maybe in the future i will be in a posistion to upgrade to the trophy.

Regards
Will[/i]

Reaction score
Will

Congrats on the purchase we all have to start somewhere. You will have great fun in your new machine.

Welcome

Jules

Reaction score
Good stuff Will - i'm sure you'll love it. The car parking dent and scuffed wheels are an easy fix sounds like you got it at a decent price too.

Reaction score
price sounds good, hopefully you'll stick around on the site and can make the move to a Trophy if that still suits you when you have a bit more money and NCB behind you

Reaction score
Hello Will, I had a 182FF for a while - still a very cool car and it has added luxuries which you would have missed out on the Trophy!

Your always going to get a few marks and car park dents on a 3 year old car - I wouldnt worry about it

Welcome to the club (wave)

Reaction score
Will said:
I dont know if you can remember my post a while back asking for your suggestions in getting a trophy given my age and insurance issues.[/i]

Congratulations on the new car :)

However I really wonder if buying a 182 FF versus a Trophy is really a question of insurance 'issues'.

Surely there is hardly any difference in the price of insuring a 182 FF versus a Trophy? At most £100? I could be wrong, but logically it makes little sense.

O.

Reaction score
Cue said:
yes, but one group makes little difference - about £100 as oliie said.

...but that's just 1% of the purchase price of the Trophy (if that!).

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
Isn't the Trophy 1 insurance group higher than a 182?

I think your right, but I wouldn't work on the Group structure for insurance pricing tbh.
A EP3 CTR & Focus RS are the same Group. The Focus alot rarer, yet the EP3 is more to insure with most companies. I don't have a clue why, but it's true.

I'd imagine Trophy against 182's to be much the same especially with how expensive the dampers etc are on them.

As for you 182 mate, nowt wrong with em imo :wink:

Reaction score
I phoned to see how my insurance was affected changing to a trophy expecting there to be a small increase as its value is higher than my 172 and its grp17 as oppposed to 16 but i get a £5 refund! :?
Insurance is weird! Suppose its probably due to less being stolen!

Reaction score
True, the DC2 is group 18, same as the Trophy, phoned up to change vehicle, valued at £7250 (Trophy was valued at £13,000) and they wanted an extra £111 for the remainder of the policy, an extra 9 months! I was not pleased.

Magnet for tea leaves and nob-head drivers it seems.

Reaction score
When i said insurance issues i meant when i was looking at buying a hot hatch in general, if i could go down the renaultsport path or go for something alot less. The price difference for me on insurance between the two is £47 a year.

The reason i decided against a trophy at this stage was the cost of the car. I would of needed an extra 1500 for a trophy and at the moment, i couldnt justify streching to that whilst at my current job, i wouldnt be able to put petrol in the car after the payments come out for the loan on a trophy, but with the FF ive got a bit to spend on fuel and a social life. Only just reached 20 after all, ive got plenty of time ahead of me.

As for the 182 it is an awsome car to have, and i dont know many people my age with a car like it. I have had fun with some corners already, not pushed beyond my own capabilities which is far far within the cars capabilities.

Im getting the alloys refurbed for £110 for all four, and as for the dent my mate works at a body shop and is going to push it out for me.

Thanks for your kind comments, and hopefully a third star will come next year...

Will