Reaction score
Hello all! After a flirtation with a 182 some time ago I have decided it is time to investigate the best of the breed and have just become the new owner of Trophy #051.

Seemingly the first item I will need to attend to is a refurb of the distinctly tired Sachs dampers and have already spoken to Simon at Cornering Force following a read of the very helpful threads on here. Once the handling is restored to its proper level some new brakes will be going on so that the twisties can be tackled as Renaultsport intended.

Once I have sorted the engine management light that has just come on and discovered the cause of the sporadically flickering dashboard instrument lighting, that is. Ah, French hatchbacks - love 'em! :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to making use of what looks like a great owners' site - if anyone has any essential advice for a first-time Trophy owner it will be gratefully received!

Reaction score
Welcome to the club! Once you get it back to rude health you'll love it even more!! ;)

Reaction score
Welcome!! Epic username by the way sir! Post up about any problems you have we're a friendly bunch and always happy to help out!!

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys! I've already found out that a couple of what I thought might be issues (slightly rough idle and saggy boot struts) are actually, ahem, "character", so that's a relief.

Bit baffled by the sporadic nature of my dashboard instrument illumination when the lights are on mind you - rev counter, radio lights, heater controls and trip computer display all flickering / going off at random times throughout journeys. The car is being looked at by Mick at Diamond Motors on Friday so we will see what he finds.

In the meantime, having come from an Impreza STI, I am simply trundling around and marvelling at seeing mpg figures above 25 for the first time in 3 years!

Reaction score
Welcome along. How do you find it power wise compared to the Impreza? I'm considering one to save some costs and allow me to do more track time, but currently have a stage 2 R26 Megane and don't fancy the 50% loss in torque and the power drop...

Reaction score
I had a standard R26 and I don't notice alot of difference between that and my Trophy.

Will probably be a different story seen as you meg is mapped!

Reaction score
Welcome along. How do you find it power wise compared to the Impreza? I'm considering one to save some costs and allow me to do more track time, but currently have a stage 2 R26 Megane and don't fancy the 50% loss in torque and the power drop...

To be absolutely honest, after the Impreza the Trophy feels like it is hardly moving. But then it is hardly a fair comparison; the Impreza was running a proven 350bhp and roughly the same lb/ft of torque, so the Trophy was always going to feel a bit feeble in a straight line.

Where I am hoping the Trophy makes up for the lack of poke is in the handling. My one complaint about the Impreza (other than the 22mpg thirst for V-Power) was that although it had grip in spades it never felt as sharp or as involving as I hoped on twisty roads. The Impreza's overly light steering and feeling of weight in corners were always at the back of my mind and meant that I never felt hugely engaged in the car unless I was giving it a bootful. Unfortunately, the speeds at which the chassis really came alive were also speeds to which the words "irresponsible" and "highly illegal" could be applied.

The Trophy will, I hope, entertain me at considerably less eye-widening speeds and help save my wallet and licence from serious damage.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Having the T remapped makes a bit of difference. Still won't get anywhere near the Impreza obviously but feels better.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Speak to James at Stone Automotive you can find there details on Cliosport.

I'm guessing being the Rutland badger means your up north which would mean RS Tuning. I thought James was back working for Michael Woodford again?