Reaction score
Hi

I need to get a new windscreen fitted to my Trophy.

I've spoken to my insurance company who have arranged with the RAC to come and fit a new one next Thursday.

The trouble is the lady on the phone did not have a 182 Trophy on her list, I explained that the car does not come with rain sensors etc. She has booked me in for a std laminated screen. She did mention something about heat protection???

Anyone had a new screen fitted before, I need it to be the same one as my GPS based equipment might not work anymore. Which screen should I be asking for?

She has given me the telephone number for the local depo who will be fitting the screen so that I can ring them and change it if need be.

Lee

Reaction score
I've had one, but didn't really speak to them about which one, they just got it right as the car was at the dealers at the time.

You just want the bog standard run of the mill Clio screen.

Lee

Reaction score
It certainly doesn't look heat reflective. Heat reflective ones have a slight mirrored effect and the small square patch with no coating at the bottom for toll cards etc.

I was just trying to find a picture of my Trophy and old 182 to show a comparison but it's not really that obvious.

Reaction score
Trophy based on Cup.

Cup not have heat reflective windscreen.

Trophy not have heat reflective windscreen.

:lol:

Reaction score
7MAT said:
nelson182 said:
You got a stone chip then Matt? I had my screen repaired recently as the chip was minor :cry:

Two chips and a 7 inch crack!

That makes three chips you've had done to the car now.

I won't mention anything about the crack!

:D

Reaction score
can someone tell how much a new OE trophy windscreen should cost? also, is it possible to fit the lightened original 172 cup windscreen?

Reaction score
Iv got two chips i need to get filled. What is the deal with filling though i dont realy get it, never had it done before? What do they use and how does it work? Oh and whats the cost? cheers

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it's identical to the 182 cup screen, as it's 182 cup screen - if that mks sence. I wouldn't have thought the heat reflective screen makes any difference to a gps system though.

Reaction score
Cue said:
it's identical to the 182 cup screen, as it's 182 cup screen - if that mks sence. I wouldn't have thought the heat reflective screen makes any difference to a gps system though.

As Cue says - the screen is the same as the 182 cup (which I believe is thinner than standard.)

However, the heat reflective screens (not fitted to the Trophy!) do affect GPS. I think they have some metallic film on them which shields the GPS signal - hence most heat reflective screens have a small window in one of the corners to allow such devices to be used.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
aaahhhh, I thought GPS didn't work on line-of-sight, digital signals shouldn't affected by a thin coating of metal but they obviously are.

I've been lied to :( all them years.....

Reaction score
Cue said:
aaahhhh, I thought GPS didn't work on line-of-sight, digital signals shouldn't affected by a thin coating of metal but they obviously are.

I've been lied to :( all them years.....

If a material is designed to reflect or absorb infa-red radiation, chances are it will reflect or absorb other forms of EM radiation similar in wavelength, ie. microwave radiation (the form of most modern digital signals). This is how aerials are able to pick up the signals after all. Also, GPS is 'line-of-sight', it can't work any other way, hence lap times around tracks with underpasses can be inaccurate due to the break in data relay. The reason they don't cut out immediately every time you go under a bridge is you are normally linked to anything up to about 30 satellites and you don't need all of them, modern GPS devices have a signal buffer too, that helps to intelligently predict where you're heading. Take your car off road and watch how long it will carry on plotting your course along the road. Avoid fences and trees when performing this experiment though (Gareth).

Reaction score
mmm... the discussion about GPS was back in August last year guys: can someone tell how much a new OE trophy windscreen should cost? also, is it possible to fit the lightened original 172 cup windscreen? I think I'll start a new thread next time :wink: