Reaction score
I recently read a promotion article for the new Clio 200 Turbo and was fairly disappointed tbh.
The new car will apparently only have a paddle shifting gearbox and not a manual gearbox. For this very reason I am put off and my interest with staying with the clio evolution of models is somewhat fading.

As I have no experience of turbocharged cars I can't comment on the new introduction of the 1.6 turbo but again I think why not a 2 litre turbo? Can anyone shed some light as to why they make their cars as fast now as their older clio models from 10+ years ago? I just do not get it...

Looks like they are going to have some high tech dampers like the Sachs, which is a good thing though!

Would love to hear other people's views on this as I feel Renaultsport may be losing focus on what makes an appealing hot-hatch!

Steff

Reaction score
I've also read a lot about the new Clio and the engine seems pretty good, with a lot of F1 technology being used. And that goes for the car as a whole. I imagine that they've gone for a 1.6 rather than a 2.0 because the rs clios are all about the handling and not power. Although I have to agree that the new gearbox is rather off putting for me personally.

Reaction score
i think you will find these big engines in small cars will be a thing of the past, as they make the smaller ones just as powerful and more efficient

Reaction score
I can understand that they need to decrease emissions output and also improve fuel efficiency but when the Williams, 172 & 182 came out there was a sense of 'thats a **** load of power in a small car' about it, which it was! I know the power output is the same but with less engine capacity and thats fine but an added 100+kg in weight compared to the previous models?? I also understand that a hot-hatch is about handling but why not give it some serious power to go with? For instance if it came with 220-240bhp it would be far more appealing as it would be devastatingly quick all round. As it seems it will just blend into the crowd of other hot-hatches as it will not be 'that much' faster around corners. I hope you understand my point.

Reaction score
Steff I believe the new 200 is supposed to be lighter than the current car and has more torque across the rev range so will be easier and more fun to drive. It also has a electronic diff and that coupled with the new gearbox should make it more fun to drive everyday plus with 5 doors it will be more practical as I know my other half struggles to get our daughter in her 200 with the Recaro's in it.

Plus it will be much easier to tune and therefore much cheaper to upgrade to get more power, torque and also possibly to remap the gearbox too.

Renault will also hopefully make some more hardcore versions as they have done with the Clio in the past but perhaps its better to wait and take a test drive when its launched to make up your own mind :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRaevyp9pT8 Here's it testing at the Ring and it doesn't look slow :)

Reaction score
Thats very impressive engineering!!!

I totally agree that it is a good thing that the manufacturers are making an effort to develop highly efficient engines and I welcome the idea but again can't help but be frustrated that there is not much going forward in the hot-hatches to get pulses and eyebrows raising. Increased weight is bad but understood that safety considerations have to be met but at the same time very little in power gain. A classic example is the civic type r and obviously the clio. Just do not get it.

Anyway sorry for rambling on and sounding pessimistic but thought I would get my point across and see if anyone would agree and hear reasons to disagree.

Thanks for replying guys.

Reaction score
@Trophy299 - I'm not slating it I'm just not attracted enough to even consider it over the T. It just goes to show how good the T is as its raw and has just as much if not more capability than a model that is 7-8 years older that is not even out yet.

I hope it is very good and is appealing, I just can't see how it would be as successful as the ^ models as it does not have the edge on them. If you get what I'm saying. Apologies again but i'm tamping and need to chill out a bit lol.

Reaction score
@Trophy299 - I'm not slating it I'm just not attracted enough to even consider it over the T. It just goes to show how good the T is as its raw and has just as much if not more capability than a model that is 7-8 years older that is not even out yet.

I hope it is very good and is appealing, I just can't see how it would be as successful as the ^ models as it does not have the edge on them. If you get what I'm saying. Apologies again but i'm tamping and need to chill out a bit lol.

No worries Steff I understand what you mean I had a FN2 Civic Type R for 2 years and sold it to use my Trophy again and god it is so much better my other half has a 200 and is looking at the newer one as it would make a better daily driver.

I've owned quite a few Clio's in my time and I love my Trophy the most :)

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be remaps to take the power up to the 220-240.

The reason they keep it around 200 and not 240 is so they don't put it in the same market as the Megane 265.

Reaction score
I think it could be a great car, if they get it handling right. Renaultsport generally do. I think I like the idea of the paddle shift as a novelty, but could that wear off? I have no doubt it should be quicker on track, so there should be clear progression from earlier models.

If its not popular they'll change it to manual in a few years, or it could finish Renault off and they'll go the way of Peugeot.

Reaction score
Yes in fairness the handling will be spot on and no doubt the paddle shift will be very handy on a track. However, as someone mentioned in the article comments, renault reliability with electronics is not the greatest and therefore; second hand sales may be affected. Also as people 'generally' can't afford a +£16000 - 19000 car to solely use on a track, are they limiting their market as it would not be so great on a road car? I know I personally am not drawn in, YET...lol.

I know J Clarkson is not a brilliant reference to use but he does know cars and he does talk sense (sometimes) and he has slated paddle shifters on cars costing 3-4 times as much as this new clio. Just a thought.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts/comments guys!

Reaction score
Chris Harris tweeted this earlier after driving and trying the launch control on the new Clio

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reaction score
This little video gives a good look at the new 200 turbo compared to the old NA 200. Quite a difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ieNXoxYQBLk

I have to admit that I like the fact that the new turbo Clio has a bit more torque. The engine characteristics and gearbox ratio of the 197 combined with the added weight over a 182 made it a non starter for me (less so the 200). I don't mind the 5 doors and even the gearbox might suit my needs at the moment. Its just a shame that it isn't a bit more special to look at than the standard Clio.

Reaction score
In Car's (rubbish) video review of the new clio 200 they complain about the flappy paddles - they say the gear changes are just no way near quick enough. Chris Harris wasn't quite so vocal in his criticism of them.

It seems a better drive than the 197, but better than a 200 manual? As said, it's a bit ugly.