New Owner - help needed!!!

Reaction score
All, thanks for all the help directly (to my questions) and indirectly (reading all the content on here).

Prepare yourself for a laugh / the most naive post of the year!

Following a conversation that started on here, went up to Scotland this weekend and acquired myself a lovely 2 owner, full service history, 43k, fully original (wait for it), Trophy that is now sat in my garage. Had previously seen, driven and decided against 2 other trophies.

In conversation with the seller (who was great throughout) and asking about service history established that the car would definitely need front Sachs fully refurbed and timing belt done and discounted the price accordingly (and discounted worrying about them...). I had a look at the rear Sachs and they seemed in ok shape so I had a look through the full history of all work, checked the VINs, etc. had a drive and proceeded merrily on with the purchase.

Upon arriving home I thought I would have a tinker and look over the new discs and pads that had been done all round so whipped off the front drivers side wheel....only to find....no Sachs damper...this is what losing feels like.

Anyhow, putting aside that I am 1. a retard and 2. not worrying about how a swap of front dampers came to pass in the first place (a long time ago looking at corrosion on the front "imposter" dampers) what are my options?

simply a case of waiting for a used pair to come up for sale and the refurbish? Car will go into mark fish asap for a full inspection and service as well as cam belt in next few weeks if I can get a slot.

Help!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well if that were me there would have been a fairly tense phone conversation by now, what does the previous owner say?

Reaction score
Sold as seen. Oh well, live and learn.

Keep your eyes peeled on the various clio forums, facebook, eBay etc and I'm sure some will come up sooner or later.

Or take this as a blessing in disguise and fit and enjoy some coilovers like Bilstein B14s, for example.

It's not all about the Sachs... ... ...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sold as seen. Oh well, live and learn.

... ...

Well yes and no. Without being party to any of the conversations difficult to know what the conditions of sale were but I would certainly be looking for some redress. (there again it is one of the first things i would check, but spilt milk now))

Reaction score
That is a bit unfortunate, but if you agreed to the sale on a 'sold as seen' basis then I suspect there is very little that can be done now........

However, if you are desperate for a pair of Sachs dampers, I have a pair that has been rebuilt (by BG Motorsport) and ready to go. Only downside is the rubber dust guards are not available. Drop me a PM if interested.

Reaction score
Would be interested to know if it was the inverness car no.112 (I don't want to discredit this car, as my guess is only based on the location, number of owners and mileage).

The owner suggested on here that he had no issue with the Sachs. I don't know if that changes anything legally as it is technically in writing.

I hope you manage to resolve this, it's a horrible situation to be in.

Reaction score
Hi

I reached a resolution with the seller on this pretty quickly last night, for me his integrity was never in question and was very open with me throughout.

Is car number 112 yes.

Would definitely be interested in hearing more about the Sachs available - PM sent.

Car going in for a full inspection to Mark Fish next week too - looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

Reaction score
Good to hear. apart from the issue 112 looked like a lovely car.
guess it unfortunately means either the previous owner has been done by the first owner who sold him the car. Or the garage has nicked them at some point.
after that it's option 3. But only you can decide on that one, if you feel he is genuine.

all the best sourcing some others.

Reaction score
On the plus side you can fit some lovely coil overs and not feel guilty of taking off the sachs, and freed from rebuild costs of the Sachs