New owner - Advice on improvement work!

Reaction score
Hi fellow members, I've just purchased No.480 after years of on and off looking.

It's a decent motor but needs improving quickly so I can be happy with it, if people could advise me on the following after being off the clio scene for about 6 years...

Gear knob inserts - best place to get one?

Wheel refurbs - best place? I took the car to a local place I've used plenty earlier, they have two similar colours gun metal and anthracite but they are not an exact match, so centre caps would be off. The local spray paint shop said they could refurb them put due to the carbon brake dust I would need to take them else where for blasting/refurbring prior to painting so could be costly!

Front bumper painting - I'm wanting to get the front end painted but want to ensure its done correctly and no paint edges will be visable, do the front grilles just pop back or will the bumper need to be fully removed and grills removed from the back etc..

Mirror cap painting - Do the caps pop off easily enough? I remember years ago taking some off on my Clio 16valver and they would never go back on correctly

Door handle painting - best way to remove/paint so paint shop don't leave paint edges

Headlight refurb - is this easy enough to do or do you really need a DA for good results? these were done prior to purchase but still look bad towards edges.

Also;

Theres a sucking/gargle noise from the left handside of car when on the throttle, I know this is where the filter is located but it almost sounds as if it is coming in the cabin, car has the standard airbox. I would like to sort it as it sounds rubbish, might sound good on a high powered turbo but not on 2L!

Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
Agree worth knowing your location to advise of the best places to get stuff sorted at local garages.

In terms of the sucking noise I had this on my Clio 182ff and found it to be the cold air feed was not located properly to the hoses hence the sucking noise. So check the pipes near the battery down to the bumper and make sure the wheel liners are secure! Let us know how you get on as could be a couple of other things if isn't that.
Cheers

Pete

Reaction score
Mirror caps- they just pop off. Either use your finger nails or if you have none like me a flat head screwdriver with some kitchen roll wrapped round it so it doesn't damage the paint should work fine.

Gear knob inserts - I have a 182 silver one in the garage you can have if you like? Just needs a sticker adding which shows the gears (can buy it off eBay for a couple of quid)

Thanks

Pete

Reaction score
Thank for the replies.

Cars booked in on Wednesday for wheel refurb and painting to tidy. I took a centre cap back and the match is almost the same as one of the colours so just going to get that done for now, plus the place is next door to the best paint shop around my way.

I didn't realise you can get the numbers off ebay for the gear knob, I didn't know if Renault just sold the inserts but guess not.

I'm removing the clio cup racer brake ducts tomorrow so will have a look for any loose hoses etc.

Dean