Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a 23yr old Belgian guy, I've always adored the Trophy since I first read about it in Evo. Some things kept me from buying though, as a student my budget is quite limited (low GBP came to the rescue), the fact that it'll be RHD (prepared to live with that) but most of all... I'm an RWD addict, I've owned my E30 for a couple of years now and I really enjoy its tail-happiness.

So, now the Trophy is within reach, I have to ask myself the question, is a Trophy capable of making me forget about RWD, making me happy for at least a couple of years? Should I be concerned about costs with the trick Sachs dampers and should I ask the sellers to get them refurbished before buying? I couldn't think of a better place to ask these questions...

Finally, I'm quite a tall guy (1.93m = 6.33ft I think), would the elevated driving position be a concern? Especially regarding headroom when wearing a helmet?

Here's me in RWD times...

DSC_2473.jpg

All the best,

Frank

Reaction score
Darn Europeans and their gooder than us living in the UK ingurlesh speaking :wink:
Welcome to the forum Frank :D
There's been a few forum members recently who've gone to and from RWD (S2000 and VX220) who will hopefully pop by and offer their opinions.
On the height issue, I'm 6'1" and find suitable legroom, as have taller drivers than me. The bigger point is that regardless of height, the driving position and the large steering wheel are not good, better mimicking driving a bus than a touring car :wink: You could sit in a standard 182 to get an idea of what it's like, bearing in mind the Recaros in the Trophy improve it for all aspects.
With the dampers, I see that Steve at Allvehicles is willing to include refurbs in the purchase price of a Trophy he has listed in the for sale section, so that would seem to be the simplest solution. For general Trophy maintenance/servicing/upgrades, you could always take a few holidays days, book a track day over here in the UK (Brands Hatch being closer for you than many here) and combine a day out with getting any work you'd like to have done.

Reaction score
Johnnytheboy said:
I'm 6'6" (2m) and fit fine, sans helmet admittedly.

I know the £/€ rate won't be on your side, but why not look for a Swiss LHD Trophy?

But you could fit with a helmet?

I've thought about the Swiss-option but as Switzerland is no part of the EU it's a real hassle to import them in the EU, and it'll cost me 21% + 10% extra on taxes alone. That makes a Swiss trophy more than double the price of a British one, I'd rather sit on the wrong side for a couple of years then [-X

Thanks for your useful input guys!

Reaction score
At my height, I fit with a helmet no problem. I think Steve who is 6'5"-ish tracks his cars and fits.
I think it would be more whether you found the driving position annoying more than the practicality of it.
There is a Reno trackday at Spa in June and one at Zolder in April, it might be possible to pop along to one of those to take a closer look.

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
At my height, I fit with a helmet no problem. I think Steve who is 6'5"-ish tracks his cars and fits.
I think it would be more whether you found the driving position annoying more than the practicality of it.
There is a Reno trackday at Spa in June and one at Zolder in April, it might be possible to pop along to one of those to take a closer look.

Didn't know about the one in Zolder! I'll definately pass by then! Thanks...

Would you say the driving position still annoys you after some time? I must say I'm easily annoyed by little things (seatbelt warnings, automatic wipers, diesels, "rubbery" gearshift ... :oops: )

Do you know the precise date of the trackday in Zolder? It'll be really helpful to meet some Trophy owners there...

Reaction score
Ive come from a 328i with lsd to my trophy, i used to love its tail happy ness, but three-wheeling is so much more fun!

Mines for sale, just to clear a loan i have outstanding, and if it sells i'll be looking at 172's (maybe 1.8 16v) as a replacement and not even a Bmw. The fuel consumption alone is worth loosing your rwd.....................

Reaction score
D4VP-C(309) said:
Ive come from a 328i with lsd to my trophy, i used to love its tail happy ness, but three-wheeling is so much more fun!

Mines for sale, just to clear a loan i have outstanding, and if it sells i'll be looking at 172's (maybe 1.8 16v) as a replacement and not even a Bmw. The fuel consumption alone is worth loosing your rwd.....................

That's actually of great help, I was seriously considering upgrading to a E36 328i and fit it with decent suspension, LSD, ...
I'm curious to see we share the same view! I'm only looking to buy around june/july and I suspect I'll try and find my Trophy on this board as it gives an added sense of security knowing that people know the history of the car.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
for a track machine i'd always start with the RWD equation, on the road FWD does have it's entertainment value but on track RWD is where it's at.

Reaction score
Porker said:
Would you say the driving position still annoys you after some time? I must say I'm easily annoyed by little things (seatbelt warnings, automatic wipers, diesels, "rubbery" gearshift ... :oops: )
The driving position is what it is and there really isn't much to be done about it, as it's the way the MKII Clio was built. The annoying thing is the steering wheel in my opinion. Reno could have put a much smaller/sportier wheel on then they did, but they didn't.

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Porker said:
The driving position is what it is and there really isn't much to be done about it, as it's the way the MKII Clio was built. The annoying thing is the steering wheel in my opinion. Reno could have put a much smaller/sportier wheel on then they did, but they didn't.

I assume it isn't impossible fitting a smaller Momo-wheel or something similar? :?:

Reaction score
Cue said:
for a track machine i'd always start with the RWD equation, on the road FWD does have it's entertainment value but on track RWD is where it's at.

That's what I thought, I was hoping you guys would convince me I was wrong :mrgreen:

It's gonna be a tough choice... What appeals to me is the Trophy is standard just as I'd like it, good suspension, good tyres, bucket seats, ...

If I'm buying another RWD sub £8k I know I'd need to spend money on suspension, seats, ... And that's money down the drain I'm afraid, it doesn't boost residuals.

It's going to be tough deciding, I feel like either way I'll lose...

Reaction score
Porker said:
duffer987 said:
Porker said:

I assume it isn't impossible fitting a smaller Momo-wheel or something similar? :?:

No, you can. A friend had a 330mm Momo wheel and it was much nicer.

p.s. A friend is 6ft 5 and tracked a 182 Cup with no problems at all (with a helmet aswell obviously).

Reaction score
A quick update, my E30 has now been sold, in a month or so I should be ready make the jump.

I've now (more or less) narrowed my choices down to two cars, a Trophy (or a more heavily modified Cup) or a Porsche 968 CS or Sport. (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/968797.htm).

Purely based on emotions, I'd take the 968 any day, pricewise they're about the same, taxes in Belgium are on the 968's side because of it's age. Running costs though I suspect will be much higher on the 968 and I have to make sure I'm able to carry those costs, knowing the car will be used a lot and at times hard.

Whatever the result, I'm excited, they're two great cars, I know I will not regret my choice...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
if budget is tight then i'd recommend an older 172 cup, for little money you'd be able to turn it into very capable track/road car. Plus they're readily available in LHD and will save you a few £000 (sorry no Euro key on the keyboard)

Reaction score
Cue said:
if budget is tight then i'd recommend an older 172 cup, for little money you'd be able to turn it into very capable track/road car. Plus they're readily available in LHD and will save you a few £000 (sorry no Euro key on the keyboard)

Actually LHD's are a lot more expensive, you'll easily pay £7.000 for a Clio 172 ph.1, I might consider a RHD 172 Cup, as I'm told they're that little purer and lighter, and no ABS quite appeals to me, on the plus side, I've got some spare cash for some extra mods. Would you say a 172 Cup with decent coilovers is a better or equal drive than a Trophy?

Something along this line might be a Trophy alternative http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1035076.htm (minus stickers and + a little rideheight)

On the other hand, I have to take into account I have to sell the car someday, selling an RHD Cup in Europe will be nigh on impossible, as the Trophy is a limited edition car, I can imagine the car will sell relatively easily to a UK enthousiast who's willing to come over... All things I need to consider

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
that's not a bad option, i won't have the fe;; of a trophy and i'd be loosing the graphic but certainly a good place to start.

Reaction score
Well, I thought I'd let everyone know I've made my decision, no Trophy for me yet

DSC01893.jpg
Ring-11.jpg
K01.jpg

Thanks for all the advice though...

Reaction score
Very nice, i love the wheels. Why right hand drive though? Surely it would be cheaper to get an opel roadster LHD(i think they are called that - european version)?