Reaction score
Steve said:
Code:
I'm pretty happy with it but first impressions are important and it still feels slightly too small. It also, quite obviously, gets bloody hot when left in direct sunlight, but if you 'take the pain' it soons transfers it's heat to your hand as aluminium has a low specific heat capacity, just a third of that for water for instance.As for the slant top -  I like the look of it, as do most people who see it (and I don't have any Max Power reading acquaintances) but it would feel better in the hand if it was a perfect sphere. I'm glad I went for the 'titanium' colour rather than the aluminium as it suits the interior well.  I think the gearknob in the Ford GT is the best I've seen, must steal one.[/quote]

Cheers Steve, will give it some thought - might pop into a car accessory joint and see if i can try the Richbrook in my hand and see what i think...

Reaction score
I’m of the same opinion that the Trophy gear knob could be improve with something spherical, what I had considered was the item from my Mk1 172 as I always liked that.

R2TR

Reaction score
Very beautiful this gear knob, I have bought it online, recived from UK and installed, the silver one.

the original one is dead removing it ;)

P6271517.jpg

money well spent!

bye

Reaction score
I also think that twisting the OE one off can damage the plastic clips at the base of the gear gaiter, I had to replace this a week or so after fitting, luckily it's only a fiver (it's more closely related to an LP than a cow).

Richbrook one is best available for 182 in my opinion. I'm having the devil's own job sourcing an OE titanium gearknob for the teg.

Reaction score
Steve said:
I also think that twisting the OE one off can damage the plastic clips at the base of the gear gaiter, I had to replace this a week or so after fitting

So are you saying that hacksawing them off is the better option? ;)

Good luck with sourcing the OEM gear knob for the teg - i'm sure one will surface soon, might have to be a little patient though. Have you priced them from a dealers?

Reaction score
Cool Hand Luke said:
Steve said:
I also think that twisting the OE one off can damage the plastic clips at the base of the gear gaiter, I had to replace this a week or so after fitting

So are you saying that hacksawing them off is the better option? ;)

Good luck with sourcing the OEM gear knob for the teg - i'm sure one will surface soon, might have to be a little patient though. Have you priced them from a dealers?

Nope, I'm saying that unclipping the gaiter first is a good option, and don' pussy around with the hairdryer, make that thing hot to touch, wrap it in a tea towel and turn it with the grips like it's an airlock door and you're suffocating. It will suddenly give up so don't punch the steering wheel.

I did source one from a breakers but just sent it back and got a refund because it was an Accord Type R one with black writing and wasn't even titanium. It was all dinked up too.

New DC2 gearknob from Honda is £170. :shock: It's a quality item but I think I'll try and get a second hand one first!

Reaction score
Wow! £170! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I agree - i think the second hand option just be fully explored before even considering paying anything like that!

Reaction score
Cheers for the 'how to' Steve. The only thing that I would add is just after you have removed the centre badge insert, cut around the rubber outer from the left side over the top and down the right side so that it splits in two like an easter egg and reveals the plastic moulding (pic below). That way the grips will have more direct contact and it will leave less mess to hoover up afterwards :wink: .

Attachments

• knob.JPG
    knob.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 94
Reaction score
What about the short shift kit from Ktec? Surely, that would be the best choice for both looks and gear change? I think it's about 200 sheets.