Reaction score
old brakes on the trophy were absolutely shot, to be polite. I was amazed at the condition the discs were in after 16k miles. Decided to go for brembo max discs and redstuff pads for fast road use as the car wont ever see a track day. They have been on a couple of weeks and very impressed with the response from cold and they are immense when up to temp. All in all i am very impressed with them and the cost wasnt bad at 150 quid delivered for discs and pads. Ian

Reaction score
my friend cooked his EBC's on the road during the same drive as me when i was bedding my pagids in! :shock: Never thought EBC were too great from what i have heard, but if they feel good to you then fair play!

Reaction score
I'm ready to change my breaks soon (still on the originals at 30K, but I do use them as little as possible!)......so much out there to choose from. What's the best for normalish (fast and twisty) road use that will give better breaking than original breaks, without high maintenance and frequent overhall? Can anyone help....just a novice to this mods thing!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
brembo high carb disk - no need for the max but if you can push to the extra budget the better wet performance of the max disks makes them worth it.

Pads.... this is a tricky one, mintex 1188's or 1144's (can't remember) are vg, the exreme's can cause a bit of squeel. Pagid's are pricey and possibly over the top for pure road use - i have them but i do a fair amount of track work.

EBc, i've only seen in action and they lasted around a half day on track - that told me everything, i think they were the greenstuff but the red stuff may be better. Look at something like Mintex - I've heard Ferodo's can cause major problems with the wheels....

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation to Simon, I want better brakes but I don't drive on tracks. The Brembo Max discs seem to have the concensus, but pads seem a bit different. I had a look at the ds2500's, but one web site had a huge warning attached saying they were unsuitible for road use.

What does everyone think about upgrading the discs and brake lines but sticking with the standard pads? Or am I showing my complete lack of expertese here?

Reaction score
I looked into this for ages, the set up i chose was recommended by Amm & Neal on here amongst others. ( Neal is a renault mechanic & between them they have done many trackdays)

For a start off it's a huge improvement over standard, a lot of the 'worry stories' are just that.
I would also recommend this set up. :D

Reaction score
7mat I d agree they need to be warm before you can exploit but so far I am amazed how better they are than standards.

Reaction score
Cue said:
brembo high carb disk - no need for the max but if you can push to the extra budget the better wet performance of the max disks makes them worth it.

Pads.... this is a tricky one, mintex 1188's or 1144's (can't remember) are vg, the exreme's can cause a bit of squeel. Pagid's are pricey and possibly over the top for pure road use - i have them but i do a fair amount of track work.

EBc, i've only seen in action and they lasted around a half day on track - that told me everything, i think they were the greenstuff but the red stuff may be better. Look at something like Mintex - I've heard Ferodo's can cause major problems with the wheels....
If your on about my brake Cue they was Yellows and only did one and a half track days :shock: and are sh1t on the road after a good day on track

Reaction score
7MAT said:
I find that I need to get a lot of heat into my DS2500 to make them work really well compared to my previous Mintex M1177s.

really? I thought that was the appeal.

must have been chinese whispers i've heard saying mintex and pagids are more aggressive and therefore take longer to heat up and work, and DS2500 are the best road pads.

If DS2500's aren't as god on the road or track then thats not too good! My pagids work great from cold!

Reaction score
My ds2500's are much better from cold than my EBC yellows were but still benefit from a bit of heat. Didn't like Spa so much though and are noisy. I'll probably try pagid's next I think.

Reaction score
Checked mine the other day and i nearly fell over when i saw the condition of the inside of the front discs! :eek: Been looking into the yozza setup this morning and it seems a great deal for £190. discs pads and lines!! :D

Reaction score
Got Brembo HC discs and DS2500 on mine, Olly had fitted them previously before I bought it.

Definately need some heat before they work and are noisey at low speeds but they are very good otherwise.

Just if you go for them be cautious when its cold and raining.

Reaction score
I've got the same setup as g40steve as well and no complaints - they're fine on the road and amazing on track