Reaction score
Now that the 197 Cup has arrived I intend to buy one in the new year. This will mean that my beloved trophy will have to go, as (as much as I have tried) I can't find the funds (of justification) to keep both! So I'm putting him up for sale soon :( . If there is anyone out there who is interested let me know. He's on 29000 miles and has FSH....

Reaction score
Good on you mate, I fancy one to especially as the R27 lapped the evo ring faster than most other hot hatches so the cup should be even quicker.

They should bring a Turbo Cup with LSD out.

Reaction score
I'm afraid 197 leave me distinctly unimpressed. maybe they go quicker than they feel, but my benchmark points in the road would prove otherwise. TBH I'd never replace a Trophy with one, there is no comparison.

I have a 2008 LY 197 R27 + Climate & Xenons if i still haven't put you off!

Reaction score
Funny that in evo the mini went even quicker round the track than the R27. I have left a 197 dead in the Trophy.

Reaction score
It has always baffled those timings in evo, I am sure the Trophy could go quicker!

Has anyone been round Bedford?

Reaction score
g40steve said:
On CS there was a comment that the r27 was 2 secs a lap faster than trophy round bedford.

Did the owner have the handbrake on??

I remember reading that in a thread the other day too,thinking about it it was the 197 thread they've got over there. thought that had to be a load of b*llocks :roll:

Reaction score
...don't worry....I'll be test driving a cup as soon as one is available....it will have to be exceptional to make me sell the Trophy as it is the best car I have ever owned. Has anyone out there tried one yet?

Max

Reaction score
Have seen a LHD Yellow R27 at Croft a few times, it has a cage and semi slicks, it is FAR faster than you would think. I'm sure a lot of it is down to the driver but seriously, it's one of the fastest cars round the circuit, very surprising.

Reaction score
Max said:
Have seen a LHD Yellow R27 at Croft a few times, it has a cage and semi slicks, it is FAR faster than you would think. I'm sure a lot of it is down to the driver but seriously, it's one of the fastest cars round the circuit, very surprising.

That my friend is a cup racer, sequencial box, 220bhp & not road legal :shock:

We are talking 197, r27 not cup racers :evil:

Reaction score
other than Nik and myself, has anyone else driven an R27?

as you know (or can find out from searching my previous posts), I've driven the 197 5 times and wasn't left impressed enough to seriously consider buying one... yet the R27 is noticeably different. Hence why i now have one....

there's no denying the greatness of the Trophy (i owned 2 and couldnt find a better replacement when the first one was written off), but there does come a time where you need to remove the blinkers a bit and accept that the new breed of Renaultsports are capable. R26 or R27, both are great.

i have no regrets with my purchase, and those who know we well enough know that i'll happily admit it if i am left feeling regretful of making the change. When i have some time, i'll write up some proper comparisons, especially now the R27 has 1200 miles on it and i have driven some of my favoured local roads

Reaction score
Blinkers, what they got to do with it??

I live out in the sticks as it were, surounded by fantastic 'driving' roads. Mainly b & track roads.
Tried a 197, took it to some of my favourite roads & was soooo dissapointed. ( yes it's better built, better equiped, safer)
Tried r27 again same roads, was better, firmer more pointy but still not itching to buy.
May try cup next.
Weight is it's biggest enemy, 1240kg...........
Don't get me wrong i like the look, but it's lost the soul.
Anyone tracked one yet???

I may get one ( trophy is one of the few cars i've kept for more than a year, mainly because it's so much 'fun'') as i do like my rs's, but then again maybe the megane is where i should be looking?

Reaction score
Interesting to see they have addressed the issue of the short gearing with the new 197 cup, all cars built from November onwards will have a longer fifth and sixth gear.

Reaction score
I drove an R27 for a couple of laps at the Renaultsport trackday at Spa. They seem to be very evenly matched for outright track speed. The R27 cornered flatter than the Trophy, but it didn't seem to have the adjustability of the Trophy.

It's a good car but I wouldn't buy one. It's more grown up but less fun. My next car will have to have more low rev shove for every day driving and overtaking, not less!

Reaction score
Anyone out there got any idea what a 30k mile (loved and cared for) Trophy is worth....I don't know whether to try the private sale, or just go for the PX for a 197 Cup :?

Max

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Max said:

That my friend is a cup racer, sequencial box, 220bhp & not road legal :shock:

We are talking 197, r27 not cup racers :evil:

No it's not. It's a LHD R27, the lad who owns it has a cup racer too. His number plate is FA51 LAP. It's bloody quick.

Reaction score
Guess it would be worth 9k private.

Old stealer will probably offer 8k? Then put on forecourt for 9995. Good ol stealers!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
driven a 197 around cadwell on two occasions, brands on one occasion, outlon on two occasions - impressed but not as impressed as the 197 R27. that was a better car, still slower than the trophy though around the same track. I mainly put this down to knowing the Trophy better but it's difficult to tell.

Reaction score
Old stealer will probably offer 8k? Then put on forecourt for 9995. Good ol stealers![/quote

I've only test driven the 197(they didn't have any r27 demonstartors), and like others, wasn't particularly impressed either, not a patch on the trophy imo.After driving it i sat down with the salesman and went through the figures for trading for an r27, he offered me £8000 :shock: , 474 only had 20000 on it at the time.