Reaction score
So within the next few weeks the Trophy will have reached the point where it needs 4 new tyres, after trawling through a few of the posts on here i can't seem to get anywhere...

Has anyone had experience with running other brands of tyre on their Trophy? if so any recommendations?

If not and i go down the PS3 route again which ones do i go for? Blackcircles seems to think i need the 87/W XL tyre as opposed the 83/V tyre...

Advice chaps!

SoS

Reaction score
I have just put a full set of PS3s on, as a new owner I thought I would stick with Michelin. The previous owner got 15k miles out of the previous front PS3s. I want with the standard load tyre. They seem good, the grip is very good, although my benchmark is only with the worn tyres already on the car.

I spent ages finding a good price, ended up getting my local ATS to fit all 4 for £450 all in which was cheaper than the online companies.

Reaction score
I don't need them fitted, just delivered..

I put 2 PS3's on the front a couple of months after i bought it and they feel a bit soft and wallowy when you chuck it, nowhere near as good as the PE2's, which is why im considering the XL version or another tyre...

Reaction score
Good luck with the selection whatever it may be. Throw your hat in with the 'bring back the PE2 campaign' and hassle Michelin!

Reaction score
Hah - my PE2's let me down badly yesterday; it was cold, and wet, but I managed a 720 spin on track ;) - normall keep the PE's just for the road and normally change my wheels for trackdays but my worn 888's might not have been any better! I'd happily try something else(for the road) come the time. Next tyre change for me is a set of PSS3's for my 997 - they are expensive but a bit special by all accounts - not sure if there would be an equivalent for theTrophy...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hah - my PE2's let me down badly yesterday; it was cold, and wet, but I managed a 720 spin on track ;) - normall keep the PE's just for the road and normally change my wheels for trackdays but my worn 888's might not have been any better! I'd happily try something else(for the road) come the time. Next tyre change for me is a set of PSS3's for my 997 - they are expensive but a bit special by all accounts - not sure if there would be an equivalent for theTrophy...

How worn are they? By all accounts they give up a little earlier if they are getting to the end of their life. Did you source any Pagid in the end?

Reaction score
Have you ever tried Toyo T1-Rs? Had them a while back thought they where pretty good for the money.

Reaction score
Having had T1R's on my 15's, im not sure i'd want them on the Turini's i have now - they were a good cheap dry/track tyre, but not amazing in the wet, which you need on a daily really. I only really used them as they were 30 quid a corner, so if i nailed them in a trackday it didnt really matter.

As as aside, I found them considerably better at dealing with trackday heat than the PE2's which melted pretty badly - no writing on the sidewalls after one day at Snetterton for example :p

Currently using Hankook V12 Evo's allround and very pleased with them - cost about 70 quid a corner as well, so quite a bit cheaper than PE2's were iirc. To be fair though, i dont really drive the Trophy enough to give a detailed overview, but im more than happy with them.

Im also a massive fan of Continental Sport Contacts - always had them on my 172 Cup and rate the, very highly!!

Reaction score
How worn are they? By all accounts they give up a little earlier if they are getting to the end of their life. Did you source any Pagid in the end?

Not even half worn (maybe 3500 miles wear), but the track was freezing and V wet (hence me not swapping rims to the ones with the 888's) - plus I was driving in rather too spiritied a fashion as the track was fairly empty and I was feeling lucky - my fault!

Not sourced any Pagids yet, getting close to being high priority! (the RC6's are OK with the chillier weather and fine on the road now I fitted some anti squeal shims but they need to go)

J

Reaction score
Another vote for the hankook v12 evo's here.

Very happy with mine, better than the hankook RS2 track day tyres imo, good price too.

Reaction score
So as luck would have it I also need 4 new tyres... As OP mentioned on Blackcircles it does indeed recommend Michelin PS3's 87/w at £130 fully fitted, the 83/v at £118. Do we really need the w on our little Clio's and is it worth the price difference?

Also ATS appear to be doing 30% off a set of 4 Michelins until the end of Feb, will give them a ring tomorrow see if it comes out cheaper.

Just seen on Blackcircles there are PE2's being advertised, £126 fitted.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not even half worn (maybe 3500 miles wear), but the track was freezing and V wet (hence me not swapping rims to the ones with the 888's) - plus I was driving in rather too spiritied a fashion as the track was fairly empty and I was feeling lucky - my fault!

J

Ah well, brown pants all round but lucky.

Reaction score
So as luck would have it I also need 4 new tyres... As OP mentioned on Blackcircles it does indeed recommend Michelin PS3's 87/w at £130 fully fitted, the 83/v at £118. Do we really need the w on our little Clio's and is it worth the price difference?

Also ATS appear to be doing 30% off a set of 4 Michelins until the end of Feb, will give them a ring tomorrow see if it comes out cheaper.

Just seen on Blackcircles there are PE2's being advertised, £126 fitted.

20% off 2 as well. I'd like to know if these work out cheaper that £113 fitted each.

SoS

Reaction score
My PS3s were £112 each fitted at ATS for all 4, although not the extra load tyre.

Reaction score
ATS want £484 from me for all 4 fitted, that's including 30% discount. Not sure how you managed £112 each SoS! Cheaper for me to go Blackcircles