Reaction score
Trophy No.
So today i received my new ITG filter and excitedly went to put it on the car to find a small oil leak while fitting. There is a slight build up sitting on top of the inlet manifold which im worried about. This is where the manifold joins the block and there are a couple of little wells for the oil to sit in. I cant see any oil anywhere else so it looks to be leaking a tiny amount from the rocker(cam) cover gasket. The oil level has hardly gone down at all. You think this will be under warranty?

Cheers

G

:cry:

Reaction score
Absolutely, totally 100% normal Gareth, the gasket isn't exactly impermeable and oil collects on the manifold, keep an eye on your oil levels (via the dipstick), if it's Ok and not going down, no problem.

Reaction score
Does it look like this :

c.gif
a.gif
b.gif

That was on my first Trophy. My guy at Renault said it could be done at Renault but it's a common thing... mine never used any extra oil so was just a little bit of weeping. He told me that if it got worse (i.e. noticeable oil usage) it could be done under warranty

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah thats exactly what it looks like and just where you cant see in the shadow bit there are little pools of oil.

Thanks for your posts Gareth, Steve. I have been in a foul mood all day because of this. I have just got my new oil through the post so at the weekend, the oil will be changed and I can monitor it closely.

thx guys

G

Reaction score
Might get my engine cover off & have a nose.

Thats for the pics Gareth :wink:

Reaction score
SpaceMonkey said:

no probs fella.... if it looks like mine does, thats about the worst state it'll be before you can get it fixed - i.e. if you have more oil seepage than me then you should book it in

Reaction score
FunkyMunky said:
no probs fella.... if it looks like mine does, thats about the worst state it'll be before you can get it fixed - i.e. if you have more oil seepage than me then you should book it in

I'll check over the weekend & she's now booked in with Mike @ Ren-Tech for the end of next month, so of he finds anything I'll have him do me a report & hand it straight to Renault :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
FunkyMunky said:
SpaceMonkey said:

Gareth did you have the pools of oil where the shadows are? Cos I do so think my problem may be a little more extreme? will try and get a picture up later

Reaction score
Gazza, post a picture up... i'll try and hunt out the other pictures i took at the time and compare them visually

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Pics of the problem. Used the work camera that has far to many settings for me to cope with slr type thingy with a macro lense on it. So pics are not great. It hadnt been using any oil and over the last month it has.

Help appreciated

Going to dealer tonight if i can make it in time after work

Attachments

• IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    424.3 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    645.2 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 467
Reaction score
looks worse than mine.... i'd be tempted to book it in after looking at your 2nd picture

dirty dirty engine :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Very dirty.

So im bunking the rest of the day off work to see what the dealership have to say on the matter.

Reaction score
WHOOAAAAHHH there! Those pictures are Mahoosive! You can even see the aluminium ions on the surface of the manifold in the last one!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah its one hell of a camera, sorry about that. We use it at work for taking pictures of components on our printers which is why we only have a macro lens.

Just got back from the dealer and have to say after reading all the stuff on the forums about how bad they are I was pleasantly surprised. Was expecting to have to beat the living shit(do the animals still come up :wink: ) out of them before they except that it is a fault that comes under the warranty. It is under warranty and they were really helpful, so im all booked in for Friday which is the earliest they could have it in.

He also told me it is a long job as they will strip it down clean the parts and run it for a while to see where its leaking.

will update with progress.

G

Reaction score
Hi,
my trophy's motor is in the same state as the pictures postet. Also I will ask to my Renault Garage if there is somthing that can be change under warranty. The oil I can see on my motor is more than the oil on your pics.
but oil level is always good.

some weeks ago, I had a problem with the water thermo sensor that was broken and the eprom though always themperatur of water was cold, than he tooks the minimum rpm at 2000 and it injected more fuel, maybe the oil residues was a consequence of a problem with injection? I had to clean and monitor the situation ;)

bye
Luca

Reaction score
Every car I've ever owned has had some oil in that area, and I've always assumed that so long as it was above the rocker cover gasket, it was just the result of a little clumsiness when refilling the oil, or possibly a little excess oil leaking from the filler cap, or just dripping from the underside when it is taken off and replaced.

As long as oil isn't seeping up from the bolts, or around the seal, I'd say it's fine. If the seal has gone, then you should try to find the cause, most likely it's been over filled, or there is some other problem resulting in excess pressure in the rocker cover.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So here is the update I promised.

My trophy was taken into the dealership on Friday and I have just picked her back up today being Wednesday. Have to say I am very impressed with the job they have done. According to the dealership oil was leaking from the bolts(which they replaced) that hold the rocker cover down, I dont have much more info than that as by the time I could get there after work the mechanics had all gone home. I do know that they replaced the inlet manifold gasket but i believe this was just so they could give the head a good clean so they knew where it was leaking from.

They also fixed my passenger recaro which wouldn't slide which was a bonus.

So now its just a matter of keeping an eye on it.

Feel so happy its all sorted and those evil thoughts about getting a DC-5 are all gone after the drive home.

:D