Reaction score
I went on the hunt yesterday to buy a new 'stop-gap' car... one to get me around the country looking at potential Trophy replacement candidates so I can avoid taking the train everywhere!

As luck would have it, I found the perfect car (relatively speaking...). I might muster up the courage to post a photo later on...

Now for a bit of competition! Can you guess what I paid for it?

The specs are:

Rover 420 SLi Saloon (~137PS)
24,000 miles (yes, you read that right!! Less mileage than my 2 year old Trophy)
K Reg, 1993
Electric windows, mirrors, radio, alarm, immobiliser etc.
Sunroof
'Flame Red' with beige velour trim
Manual
All MOTs and just serviced (with new brakes)
MOT until next year
Tax until August
Great condition (as expected with 24k miles), everything works

How much do you think I paid / do you think it is worth? :)

O.

Reaction score
a monkey?

streetcred has gone right out of the window... have you got the pipe. slippers and associated clobber to go with the car though? :wink:

Reaction score
I bet that's not too slow, didn't Rover do a special with a Honda engine that was a really good car? (not that anyone noticed or cared)

I think you paid £400 for it, and you could probably get £800 if you tried.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
between £500-£600.... I'm thinking if you didn't know the person.. If you knew them i.e. friend or family then £250.

Reaction score
OK, my credibility is in tatters, agreed!!! I've not driven it yet as I've given it to my GF in the interim to drive around. She's not impressed having recently had a Cooper S...

You're not too far off the money... I paid £350 from a work colleague... he overheard me talking to car dealers during lunch and offered me his instead! We settled over two bites of a toasted ham and cheese sandwich. It was the same price as my used Janspeed and two PE2s…

I am hoping that once I get the Porker I will be able to sell it for £750... if only every purchase was as financially viable as this one was...

So if anyone wants a cheap car in the next month or so keep me in mind... ;)

Steve - I think you're right about the sporty version... the GSi? This has the same engine (the entire car is basically a Honda Concerto / Civic) but without the Turbo. I dread the thought of maintaining a 14 year old Turbo Rover!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My Trophy will be with Steve at All Vehicles tonight... the end of an era. I really enjoyed the car and rate it much higher than the two 330ci's I had before the Trophy. It certainly left the bar high for the replacement car.

Either way, I'll stay in touch ... would be great to come to another meet in the future to see a few familiar faces.

O.

Reaction score
So oliie, I think I came pretty close with both the cost to you and the resale value, so my prize is? (I'm thinking you ICE system is probably about right).

I think the only reason that Rover is still on the road is because it's essentially a Honda!

Cue - I think you'd be surprised about Porsche servicing, even the top end Porsches (Turbos) are pretty reasonable for the performance, much cheaper than an M3 for instance. This is one of the reasons they're SO popular, supercar performance with pretty average servicing costs. One of the supercar clubs EVO did a story on found the Conti GT and the Porsches to be the cheapest to run and the Audi RS6 Dog-wagon one of the most expensive! Ferraris and Lambos were a nightmare obviously.

Reaction score
Cue said:
good luck with porky ownership..... wait for that first service cost lol.

It's actually not that bad. A 996 can be bought with the extended warranty and servicing is only around £300 - 350. It sounds like quite a bit but its similar to BMW servicing, but twice the car (I remember reading you had a 330ci too so you'll know this!). I was paying £240 for a simple Trophy service at Renault London West anyway... with almost half the engine capacity.

The exception to the rule are spark plug replacements (due to their placement). There are also lots of independants like there are for the RenaultSport community... so all in all it should be OK. Plus the (lack of) depreciation will mean that it all comes out in the wash anyway. The main expense for me will be insurance: London and no garage, plus I came from an Australian driving licence (don't ask!).

O.

edit: just read Steve's post! This is what I have read too and the 911uk.com members seem to say this too.

Reaction score
Hahaha... there is something wrong with my Laptop. For some reason it is not showing the first few lines of your post. Oh well. :lol: :lol: (poke) (poke) \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Reaction score
car_crashes_0134.jpg

Reaction score
I'll remember not to leave my golf clubs in the boot!!!

At last, a benefit of having a low car with no engine in the front... scoop up cars rather than slam into them!

A 993 snow plough perhaps? ;)

O.