Reaction score
Odd one this but wondered if anyone has had similar? (I nicked my post of Evo forum for lunch break time save)

Over the Christmas period Mario Kart was running fine and dandy, but I started to notice that a little bit of the steering feedback was gone when pushing on in the bendy bits. At first I put it down to damp roads, leaves and winter weather causing the tires to not work as well as normal and thought nothing more of it.

However, it got worse over about two weeks, greater lack of steering feel and (I’m no Ninja driver so bear with me on this) that sort of “bite†you get when you turn in had gone. It would still go where I pointed it, but something just didn’t feel right. Checked the tires, dampers and as much as my untrained eye could see and nothing looked wrong so I popped into Renault one lunchtime and explained the situation. Mechanic and service man came out and kicked the tires for a bit, told me not to worry and said it would be the damp weather and to make sure the traction control was on all the time in the conditions (boo hiss!) Fair enough so off I went.

The next day going into work the fidgety steering was worse than ever and I had a really odd moment where the car seemed to suddenly find a load of grip mid corner, only not in a good way. It was like a "hop", felt like the back lifted up and tightened the line all on its own - not so good as it felt totally out of my control and the car coming the other way was not to impressed judging by the flashing lights and hand signals I received.

The same thing happened on the way home resulting in a totally unexpected massive slide that I caught with my Buntaesq skills (Reality: it went a tiny bit sideways out of a very slow roundabout and as I screamed everything sorted itself out) Also, any speed above 60 mph made a nasty sound from the whole of the car and the steering would go completely potty and unresponsive, causing the wheel to shake wildly in my hands. Limp home mode was initiated.

So I took it to Renault in Hexham that weekend, explained the whole thing and begged them to take the car out to experience it themselves to confirm it wasn’t just me going crazy. Serious, after having the tires and car looked at twice and been told it was “just me†I was starting to get more than a little worried. Kindly they offered to look at it right away and the mechanic took the car out only to return a few minutes later looking pale faced and a little worried. “It’s buggered mate, that car is trying to kill you†was his reply ….[LIFTED] [LIFTED] bugger…

Odd thing was that the mechanic could find nothing wrong with the car at all, he had serviced a Trophy only the week before with half the mileage and that mine was in the same, if not better condition.
Then he put the car on the ramp and let me have a look underneath and explained a few things to look out for with the dampers - at this point it was becoming clear that I would have to book the car in for an extended session to find the problem as everything was fine under the car…until he had a closer look at the wheels. After a second or two he started to laugh and then grabbed a huge bucket and a chisel which he put against the inside bit of the alloy and then tapped it with a hammer, sending the biggest explosion of caked up mud you have ever seen onto the floor. The entire wheel, all four of them, had nearly five inches of mud stuck to them on the inside all the way around the rims, I never even noticed it as it was so hard and smooth that it looked like part of the wheel - DOH!!!!!!

So after a little clean up on each wheel, a lesson about keeping the insides of alloys clean as well as the outside and never to trust the drive in car washes that claim to clean underneath the car followed by a good old laugh at my expense, Mario Kart was back to very rude health. Better than ever in fact and I now have a weekly regime of getting the mud off the wheels to stop it happening again. (I live on a very muddy farm track so will be getting hold of a pressure washer and foot jack to lift the car up quickly to speed thing up)

No charge either which for half an hour of head scratching and fixing the front splitter with a new bolt was more than kind - I’ll be going back there from now on and am sending the chap a pack of beers for the help, least I can do really.

I did feel very stupid for a few days after mind and will be paying more attention to the underside of the car from now on!

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ha ha, very interesting story :D

Its suprising how much mud does stick to the inside of the wheels

Reaction score
That story just goes to show some people don't care for their cars very much. How could you not notice 5 inches (a bit of artistic merit applied here, how would the disc brakes work???) of mud build up?

I must be a bit anal about cleaning 353 as Im always down on my hands and knees cleaning the wheels, otherwise there would be loads of crap built up.

Reaction score
Lol, well maybe 5 inches was a bit conservative :)

It was a lot of mud however and not so easy to see when I don't have access to a pit or spend my entire life cleaning the thing. (I would if I could but with the farm track I live on it makes keeping the car clean almost impossible)

Recently the car gets put through the Sparkles washing machine thing in Gateshead on the undercar wash treatment - which in this case does not do a very good job as stated in the post and a Jack and jet wash are on order to make sure it won't happen again.

I will try harder to "care for my car" in future! :wink:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I did notice that the insides got extremely dirty, didn't have any serious deposits on them and I wouldn't have noticed if I'd not of taken the wheels off around Aug/Sept time. The grey colour of the wheels does hide the grit etc.

Reaction score
Bunta said:
never to trust the drive in car washes that claim to clean underneath the car

Please tell me you don't use an automatic car wash... :shock: :shock: :shock:

:p

O.

Reaction score
are you the guy who was writing for some car mag...had is trophy on the cover with him in it...from up scotts gap way?
in the summer i polish the inside of my rims...the dark colour really makes them shine..

Reaction score
The Evo guys found it pretty funny so it will be in the next report for sure.

I used to love washing and waxing the car, nothing like getting that lovely Inferno paint sparkling - but unfortunately I recently had crunch time at work on a new game (nine weeks, seven days a week, 18 - 20 hours a day and sleeping under the desk) and so cleaning the little Mario Kart took second place to sleep I hate to say.
When the local drive in washer refitted they did a free super wash promotion and it wasn’t bad so that became the norm during crunch as it only took five minutes out of my lunch break.

Needless to say it’s back to elbow work and autoglym now I have the weekends back!
(and pay more attention to the bits I can't see)

….Well it’s that or I get tarmac laid on the track to replace the mud slide it currently resembles :)

Reaction score
This is quite strange, I don't understand how mud could affect the handling that much, they still weigh less than normal 182 wheels with as much mud as they could carry.

Someone enlighten me, I'm confused...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
if it was on one wheel and only in clumps on that wheel, you'd probably notice a vibration when driving - it's like having too many balancing weights on the wheel.

I can't understand how it could cause the cornering symtoms you've described, but changes in primery and secondary ride through weight changes can have strange effects - i'm yet to understand this science.......

Reaction score
Mud on wheels/arches - nothing a good Bosch power washer with appropriate crevice attachment can't sort. Takes all of 30 secs a wheel.