MSA - STM

Reaction score
Looks like the MSA are trying to ban STM's from the Production Class. I know that Shiftspark has already run into this problem, but this seems to be a concerted effort. The proposed rule changes are badly written, so any of you licence holders who would like to join the objections, there is a consultation process until 20 August - speed@msauk.org. Even our local scrutineers think it is a muddle and have helped me write my submission!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Some production cars come with STM's don't they??? are they now limiting what you can actually run with in terms of cars?

Reaction score
Cue, This mainly relates to the production class. They are trying ot even things out and make things cheaper - but have not thought it through properly. I am not sure if some cars come with STM's - can't think of any off hand, but what they are saying is that you can not change the method of mounting (and yet it is not clear whether they mean the mount itself, of the way that it bolts to the chassis) and cannot use metallic spherical joints unless o.e. On the other hand adjustable spring platforms are allowed. There are immediately several problems, including that some cars can not adjust camber by camber bolts, as the strut is attached to the hub carrier by a pinch bolt system, or even is a one piece unit - secondly that adjustable spring platforms imply coil-overs, and the method of attachment is then not always compatible with the o.e top mount. In general this prejudices the older car - which is what 'grass roots' motor sport is all about.
I made quite a long submission ot the MSA, trying to explain the unintended consequences of their suggestions - and even got some scrutineers to help me write it! It will cost some people a lot of money, or force them to run in the modified class, which means even more expense - slicks and wets etc. So silly.

We shall see.