Reaction score
Hi

I am getting myself a mountain bike shortly and just wondered those of you that have them do they fit in the Trophy Ok? obviously I will remove the front wheel!

Cheers

Reaction score
shiftspark said:
Hi

I am getting myself a mountain bike shortly and just wondered those of you that have them do they fit in the Trophy Ok? obviously I will remove the front wheel!

Cheers

You should have no worries getting an MTB in - you can get it diagonally and then fit the front wheel down behind the drivers seat.

:D

Reaction score
Get yourself one of these bike bags

Keeps all the mud contained within a bag and fits perfectly in the back of the Trophy with the seats down. In fact, I can get two of these babies in :D

Reaction score
Yeh they do fit in but I had a hard time getting mine in without taking the wheel off. That's why I've only done it twice when moving home :lol:

Reaction score
I have to take both wheels off to get mine in. A bike bag is a good call. Watch you don't scratch the back of the seats too.

Reaction score
17" Hardtail fits in no problem with both wheels off, forks first. I've not managed to get it in with just the front wheel off. I could do with a bike bag, looks a good idea, at the moment I've just got a big ground sheet. I could do with a seat cover too save using bin bags to cover the seat all the time.

Reaction score
If you search the forum, we found covers for the recaros. Quite expensive though.. I have considered them but they'd rarely be used as it's unusual for me to use the trophy to get to a biking destination...

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I used to use a bike rack on the Trophy :shock: But it didnt fit right so now I just fold the seats down and it fits no problem. its a Medium 140mm trail bike.

What bike you after mate ?

Reaction score
BenG said:
I used to use a bike rack on the Trophy :shock: But it didnt fit right so now I just fold the seats down and it fits no problem. its a Medium 140mm trail bike.

What bike you after mate ?

Hi

I may get a Rockhopper comp disc or a Boardman hybrid as I have a crazy idea of doing a Triathlon at some point :lol:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cool. Personally Id go for the Rockhopper, Nice bike.
As for the Tirathlon I say go for it. Im just gonna stick to Mountain biking :D

Reaction score
I echo ben's thoughts - get the rockhopper- at least that way you have the option to run slick/semi slick tyres and use it as a road bike and then stick nobblies back on for roughing it off road. Plus you can join us sometime next spring for the proposed Wales meet Inc mountain biking :D

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have just sold my bike as I have ordered a '2009 gary Fisher Roscoe III' its not out til January tho so have no bike til then. I spend way too much money on bikes but I go often and I love it ! With living in the lakes there are many very good trails right on my doorstep.

personally id still go for the Rockhopper. And to be honest if you get one from Halfrauds it will probably fall to pieces anyways so it dont really matter what spec you get. Ive heard a lot of bad press from there regarding bikes.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
'2009 gary Fisher Roscoe III'

£2800 :shock:

That puts mine to shame, but he's right about Halfrauds, find an inde who know's what they're talking about and be prepared to spend lots :)

Reaction score
I ride a bespoke machine, comprised of a Tomac Taos Frame, Rockshox Duke Race forks, Spinergy Xcyclone disc wheels (black rims, white spokes - yummy!), full XT and a few carbon goodies...

DSC00251.jpg

If I only I lived up in the lakes too - such a fabulous place to ride - the views were just gorgeous when I was there in the summer! 8)

I would say, avoid Halfrauds like a written off Trophy.. You can get better elsewhere, much better service in an independent and much better value. Quickly looking at the bikes, I'd say Specialized - well recognised make, I've always felt that their gear is good quality. The spec looks good too.. I'm much more a fan of Shimano than SRAM but I don't base that on any personal evidence, just preference..

Hope that helps.. BTW, Evans have reduced the rockhopper by just over £100... 8)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Very nice bike, looks really light, Hardtails are much more efficient. Ive always been a fan of SRAM but ive never used Shimano (except the cranks) so I cant speak for the quality. I dont think you can fault either.

I had a Specialized Epic for about a year and never had a fault with it, and it took some serious abuse. I had to get rid of it as I needed something with more travel.
Its designed for XC but I literally rode down mountains on it. I totally abused it for a full year and nothing went wrong.

So I can agree with 'quicksilver' saying that they make good quality bikes.

Reaction score
Thanks Ben :D

It is light and it's lovely to ride, especially since I got a nice short stem for it - it's so chuckable. Upgrading to discs this year was the final garnish on a really pleasing steed. I have to say that the stiffness can get too much - they say it's one of the stiffest rear ended bikes around and my back and legs know that after some rides. When we rode in the peaks and the lakes, there were times when my mate on his Scott Genius MC10 left me on the downhills because he could soak them up far better and I was just being shaken to pieces.. Carrying the bikes though, I wasn't jealous, even if his is pretty much fully carbon.. :wink: Sadly as a result of that holiday my lockout appears to have ceased working.. Frightened to service the forks myself - just trying to decide whether or not to take the plunge/take them to a shop!

Shiftspark - have you checked out any other brands? - I started with a Scott and I have a soft spot for them..

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine, had loads of shimano bits on that weren't available seperately when i got it but getting a little old now.

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
Marin - another good maker, although I always viewed them as being quite pricey for their specs. How much does it get used? - I bet it does more miles than the Trophy?? :lol: