BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Coming home from work tonight i was doing about 20 in 3rd, let off the throttle (expecting to slow down due to engine breaking) but just kept going! so I knocked it out of gear and the engine was revving at a constant 2000revs. Little dap on the throttle and the engine started 'coughing' until it cut out at a junction, then wouldnt start! (about 200yards from my house) :roll:
After 10mins of trying to start the car it finally fired up and i managed to get it home. The car seemed fine when i got it home but i noticed when i revved the engine the temp guage went crazy. Ive read through some pervious threads and noticed this temp guage problem seems to be common, but is what i experienced anything to do with a faulty temp guage?
:cry: :evil:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have just had my temperature gauge fixed. I had a very similar thing happen.

When the reading on the sensor drops below a certain level a safety mode starts on the ECU. Making the idle 2000RPM. I would of thought that you would of noticed the temp gauge dropping before the idle speed changed.

Take it to the dealer and get it sorted. Im on my second temp gauge now and all is fine. Will be covered by warrenty

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Oh good , thanks guys. its in the dealers now.
Gazza, yes the needle just dropped and started revving itself at about 2000revs. Didnt know about a safety mode on the ECU so that explains that.
Driving it to the dealers today about 5 miles away it cut out 4 times then wouldnt start again (which i think is something to do with the immobiliser kicking in) I had to lock and unlock the car before i could get it to start.
The dealers said they cant look at it til Thursday :cry:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
New water cooler temperature guage on its way monday !

Reaction score
Its defo the temp sender, well known issue.
Gauge would not effect the engine running.
I had exactly the same, should be warranty fix.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yep, it was the temp senser! new 1 was fitted and everything is fine now. wohoo !