More power on second Dyno run?

Reaction score
This may be an easy one.. but why does a car produce more power on the second run on a Dyno? Is it that it isn't pushed as hard on the first run?

Sorry if it there is an obvious answer... I was just looking at the Dyno printout from Janspeed and it got me thinking... :?:

Cheers
O.

Day

Reaction score
They were not all like that, saw some where the car faired better the first time.

Reaction score
Heat in the tyres? (if you want more power on a dyno run, put 50psi in your tyres) Oil hotter and so thinner?
Dyno figures are subject to such variation that their figures are useless really as anything other than a finger in the air before/after mods.
Its why it makes me laugh lots when people claim their car does "207.5bhp" or the ilk.

Day

Reaction score
If all RR's differ so much and they should be taken with a pinch of salt then what is the point of actually having them?

Soon as you post a result it gets shot down!

Reaction score
Day said:
If all RR's differ so much and they should be taken with a pinch of salt then what is the point of actually having them?

they're very good for before/after tuning (working on a % gain system)

a chassis dyno will never bee 100% accurate

the only accurate test is an engine dyno (even these have variables)

Reaction score
2nd gear makes more power on the rollers as it produces more torque at the wheels in a lower gear...

4th is used as its the closest thing to a 1:1 gear ratio....therefore theoretically giving the most accurate engine output.

Reaction score
Fred said:
Day said:

they're very good for before/after tuning (working on a % gain system)

a chassis dyno will never bee 100% accurate

the only accurate test is an engine dyno (even these have variables)

I'd agree completely. Not knowing much about nothing, it was good at Janspeed to have x amount of Trophys, 182s, 172s on the rr and judge the results relative to the other similiar cars.
In isolation its just another number and pretty much meaningless.