Reaction score
Hi all ive fitted a Momo Steering wheel to my Trophy which looks 100% better the problem is i need to get rid of the AIRBAG light on the dash.

Ive been told to go to Maplins and buy either Capacitors or resistors but am unsure what i need and the values of them in Ohm's

Does anyone no what i need to buy to cure this problem Thanks Paul.

Reaction score
Paul

Why did you change the steering wheel over? Are there any functional benefits?

No offence but if there are not any non-cosmetic benefits then it seems a bit daft to get rid of the airbag just for looks? Or do you just use the car for track days with a harness/roll cage?

O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
Paul

No offence but if there are not any non-cosmetic benefits then it seems a bit daft to get rid of the airbag just for looks? Or do you just use the car for track days with a harness/roll cage?

O.

If i remember from an earlier post i think Paul found his knees hitting the steering wheel even with it at the highest height so has gone for something a bit smaller?

Reaction score
Gareth said:
oliie said:
Paul

O.

If i remember from an earlier post i think Paul found his knees hitting the steering wheel even with it at the highest height so has gone for something a bit smaller?

Ahh I see.

Steve Gunnis is taller and has the airbag equipped steering wheel though... :shock: :p

I know airbags save lives so I don't think I could ever trade comfort for safety, but then again I've never been in that position (no pun intended!) so I can't really comment.

Good luck on finding a solution! :)

O.

Reaction score
Yea please comment on the actual subject that i have asked.

I dont need another Mother!!!!!

Thanks Gareth you are 100% right mate cant stand my knees constantly resting on the steering wheel. Good Memory.

Reaction score
Airbags were invented for thick american's who can't be bothered to put on a seat belt.

If you watch a crash test video from side profile, the dummy wearing a seat belt does not even come into contact with the airbag during impact.

Reaction score
Yea right MAT7
You tell em mate the steering wheel is shite its like a BUS steering wheel and i dont care if people who are taller than me dont have to change their steering wheels.
But ive changed mine. Ive got long legs thats the problem.

I was in a 172 cup with an accident on the M25 at 70mph and we both didnt touch the airbags they are useless shite for CRAPPY DRIVERS WHO CANT DRIVE.
IF YOU OWN A TROPHY YOU SHOULD BE A WELL GOOD DRIVER. I CAN THINK OF MANY SUPERCARS THAT DONT HAVE AIRBAGS.

Reaction score
Ive now got what i need went to Maplins and got some Resistors. at 3.4Ohms each 1.

If this dosent take the light of ill just take the dash out and black tape it up.

Reaction score
Good on you for doing it :). I drove a 172 cup with a aftermarket wheel fitted and the driving feeling was ten times better than normal.

Reaction score
oliie said:
Paul

O.

why do some people on this site question the reason for a problem, without actually answering the problem?? paul seems to be keen to solve a few 'issues' with the trophy, i for 1 would like the idea of an aftermarket wheel. at the end of the day, all the mods can be put back before he sells, good luck with the mods paul.

just seems as if every1 has their own opinion, if i wanted an aftermarket wheel on my trophy, i would put it on. Anyway if ive not got my contacts lenses in while driving the airbag would do me more harm than good when my glasses get shoved into my eyes!!!

Reaction score
PaulTrophy002 said:
airbags they are useless shite for CRAPPY DRIVERS WHO CANT DRIVE.
IF YOU OWN A TROPHY YOU SHOULD BE A WELL GOOD DRIVER. I CAN THINK OF MANY SUPERCARS THAT DONT HAVE AIRBAGS.
The only thing i have with this is that if they did not have some proven safety benefit would the car manufacturers have bothered spending a fortune on making them work?

And yes a few Supercars do not come with Airbags fitted,but the majority of supercar drivers aren't "drivers" they have the cars because they have the money.

I couldn't agree more with changing the steering wheel though,its probably the only modification i would consider for my Trophy as i do dis-like the standard item.
So well done on changing it,if you get the chance post up a "how to" thread so if any others of us want to do the same we have the guidance.

Reaction score
some pictures of the wheel as well would be good :wink:

the only thing that puts me off making the change is the loss of the cruise control/speed limiter..... something that i have grown to use a lot and now can't do without

Reaction score
PaulTrophy002 said:
I CAN THINK OF MANY SUPERCARS THAT DONT HAVE AIRBAGS.

Sorry to take the bait (I was trying very hard to steer away from posting more personal opinions in this thread!) but...

Please do tell me the name of a modern commercial supercar (i.e. more than 10 built, after 1998) that does not come from the factory with an airbag.... I am genuinely interested in this! I know that you can think of 'many', but just two will suffice.

O.

Reaction score
Ollie here are a few supercars that dont have an AIRBAG's

1) FERRARI ENZO
2) FERRARI F50
2) KOENIGSEGG CCR
4) NOBEL M12
3) ANY TVR DOSENT HAVE A AIRBAG

Just to let you no AIRBAGS are not a requirement for a car just like ABS and Traction Control. They are all selling point extras for manufactures to get sales for cars.
[/b]

Reaction score
Gareth ive not lost my cruise control ive made a plastic pod which holds 2 switches to activate the Cruise conrol and adjust the speed all i haven't got is the Crappy Airbag.

Reaction score
Paul, both the Enzo and the Koenigsegg have airbags, while Noble and TVR don't really have the resources to equip their cars with such technology. The F50 is over 10 years old now, and as such was always unlikely to have an airbag, given the volume produced.

Anyway, all this talk of supercars is pretty irrelevant as they are a totally different beast to a mass production hatchback...

I don't buy into your claims that airbags are "for crappy drivers who can't drive" or "useless shite" but I would certainly agree that the stock wheel could be improved upon - personally I'd like something a little smaller to speed up the steering slightly. Got any pics of the Momo so we can all see how it looks?

Reaction score
The ENZO+Koenigsegg 100% dont have an AIRBAG, ive Got a Spec sheets for the cars and they both Dont have them. Their steering wheels are far to small on these cars.

Im totally not bothered whether these car have them or not but to get questioned by a weardo as to ask name 2 supercars that dont have them is a bit strange. Whats this got to do with me asking about what size resistors i need people should keep to the TOPIC TITLE rather than diverting from it , its terribly anoying. This thread has got totally out of control.

And if everyone is so against fitting the bloody aftermarket steering wheel why do you all want to see pictures of mine changed.

Like people have said why change the cars steering wheel for looks when you are ruineing the safety of it.

THIS THREAD IS FINISHED. :evil:

Reaction score
PaulTrophy002 said:
but to get questioned by a weardo

Albeit a 'weardo' who can spell...

Don't go calling me names now.... 8) I only asked a question :)

If you don't like debate, well, you have not yet met the King, Mr Stromba :)

And because you think I am weird, I'll just have to prove you wrong with your so called 'facts' (post below).

I always do my research before I impart knowledge, especially if I say that I'm sure it is correct :) It's the studying of law that has left serious scars... negative marks for a wrong answer in an exam. Our professor's rule was: if in doubt, don't answer the question! Best advice I've had for my professional life :)

Sorry off topic. Photos as promised are below. 8)

Cheers
O.