Reaction score
Dear All,

Travelling down the A40 towards Monmouth today a pipe was in the left hand lane which I couldn't avoid due to traffic on my right. I thought to myself, "that doesn't look too big, I'll drive straight over it."

Oh how I was wrong. The pipe scored the underneath of my car (i don't think it's done any damper/wheel/brake damage) and set off the airbag and pretensioners.

The airbag explosive was set out and white powder was everywhere, but the bag itself didn't deploy. The seatbelt pretensioners fired, but seem fine now. The airbag and SERV light are now a permanent fixture on my dashboard.

1) Do the seatbelts need replacing?
2) How much money will it cost to replace the airbag, reset the ECU, replace the seatbelts (if needed) and repair the lining underneath the car?

Thank you in advance.

p.s. I want to sue all hauliers and the Highways agency.

Reaction score
you should be able to claim off your insurance? might be worth telling them about it sooner than later

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm with steve above, not cheap, are you trying to avoid going through your insurance?

Slightly worrying that the airbag did not actually deploy, possibly a good thing it wasn't a "real" accident.

like this one :wink:

Attachments

• Oh_bugger_4.jpg
    Oh_bugger_4.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 98
Reaction score
Insurance told and it's booked into a repair centre. Thankfully I'm going to use a pool car from work (no pun intended). All is good. It'll cost me the £500 excess, but this is exactly what insurance is for I suppose.

That picture still sends chills down my spine.

Reaction score
It will also cost you your no claims bonus (unless it's protected) i'm sure with the £500 you are spending on the excess you could have repaired the car yourself, maybe not with brand new parts.

I have nearly all the parts you would have needed for sale :wink:

good luck getting it sorted anyway

Chris

Reaction score
Just an update:

The damage actually done is:

1) Front splitter to be replaced
2) NSF alloy to be replaced
3) Rear Axel replaced
4) Underside coating repaired
5) Seatbelt and pretentioner replaced (air bag did not actually go off so no need to be replaced)
6) ECU reset

Cost is £2,300. :D (NOT!!)

So I apologise to all you Trophy owners out there; your car won't be worth another £50 :lol: