CMR

Reaction score
Should the manifold to cat connection have a nut on either side of the spring thing?

This is what I mean

14062009736.jpg

Am I missing anything? reason being i'm trying to sort a metallic rattle when accelerating hard out.. I think its exhaust related but just trying to narrow it down :(

CMR

Reaction score
Alright cheers for the reply, must be something else then thats causing the noise!

Ajr

Reaction score
Replace the wire gasket.

The cats are well known for small cracks forming where the welds are.

And the centre section baffles are crap.

That should narrow it down! It's easiest to get it up on a ramp and give it a good rev while someone listens underneath for where the sound is coming from.

CMR

Reaction score
Yeah i'l have to do that, I cant hear the noise when revving it when stationary, just when moving and accelerating hard. Like a 10mm socket loose somewhere if you can imagine the noise. Soon as I stop accelerating and hold at say 5k revs the noise stops..then starts again when i accelerate :?

Could be the baffles in the exhaust, I just hope its not the cat that has had it.

Reaction score
I had the exhaust metallic rattle you speak of, mine turned out to be the join between the exhaust and the cat. Judging by your image, there is a lot of soot around the bottom of the join between the cat and the manifold which means there's the leak causing the rattle.

CMR

Reaction score
Yeah thats a good point, to be honest I never noticed the soot when I was underneath but its definitely visible on the pictures!

I'l try and get it on a ramp on the weekend and see exactly where its coming from.

Cheers for the help.

Reaction score
I have also found that if your exhaust has been cut and rejoined at the back box the clamp that holds the 2 together can catch on the heat shield ever so slightly and rattle like hell had to adjust mine a number of times to stop this rattle/vibration!

CMR

Reaction score
Havnt got a bigger size of that picture have you cant make out the numbers!

I dont think mine has been rejoined, I drove the car again this morning and maybe its not as loud as I think, with music on 14~ I couldnt hear it at all.

Reaction score
CMR said:
Havnt got a bigger size of that picture have you cant make out the numbers!

I dont think mine has been rejoined, I drove the car again this morning and maybe its not as loud as I think, with music on 14~ I couldnt hear it at all.
No need all you need is no 2 part number is at the bottom!

Reaction score
Noticed that my join is quite sooty too - a quick search on google took me to Yozza's site where I found that apparently part 2 is £37.81+VAT #-o

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Noticed that my join is quite sooty too - a quick search on google took me to Yozza's site where I found that apparently part 2 is £37.81+VAT #-o
Yep thats the price unless you know someone who works for Renault parts :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
quik5i1ver said:
hmmm... Is there a deal to be done here? :D :wink:

I'm sure there is :wink: , like I said in another thread I've just ordered a sack load of parts for the reno 5 and to be honest I would have struggled without the help of power ranger.

So a publicBIG BIG thanks to him for that and for the lovely lovely discount :)

CMR

Reaction score
Been having a read and the ktec equivalent I linked has had a few problems regarding sealing.

How much would I be looking at power ranger for the oe version, feel free to drop me a pm :wink: