Mangled jacking points!

Reaction score
Helped my mate change his oil on his Teggy Type R recently, and we could not find anywhere decent under the car to jack up from, so using a trolley jack, we jacked up using the jacking points, and everything went fine.

So I decided to use the same method on the Trophy (despite having used different points successfully last time round) and it would appear that Renaults jacking points can't stand the same forces as Honda's - my jacking points are now a right mess! Looks like they can be replaced, but it's just hassle that I didn't need - I'm absolutley gutted!

And you don't need to tell me, I know I need to clean my car! :wink:

HPIM0332.jpg
HPIM0331.jpg

Reaction score
Bad news, hope you can sort it. At least my car was clean when I was sat at the side of the motorway. :D

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
This is another common problem unfortunately Oli, the jacking points are made of cheese.

Has done it on both my clios to varying extents.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
aye, there a really crap design. I couldn't believe they were jacking points at first - they looked flimsy net alone when the weight of the is on them.

Reaction score
Glad to hear I am not alone with this one...not going to use the points anymore though, too much movement in them for me to feel safe when I am under the car.

Reaction score
I used the jack that came with the car and didn't have a problem with those jacking points. There is a hook on the jack that goes through the hole in the jacking point and hey presto. I think it is actually the hook that takes the load, meaning that the bottom of the hole doesn't get any pressure. From the limited amount of fiddling that I did, it looked like the bottom of the hole was very weak.

Reaction score
Deano said:
I used the jack that came with the car and didn't have a problem with those jacking points. There is a hook on the jack that goes through the hole in the jacking point and hey presto. I think it is actually the hook that takes the load, meaning that the bottom of the hole doesn't get any pressure. From the limited amount of fiddling that I did, it looked like the bottom of the hole was very weak.

Yeah I think you have got it spot on there mate, the bottom of the jacking points aren't made to take the forces of jacking the car up. I was using a trolley jack, because it is quicker and easier to use than the Renault one, or so I thought! :roll:

Reaction score
yeah mine did the same when it was handed to renault for the first of a million faults that required the whole car taking apart for things such as head lamp bulbs replacing