Status
Not open for further replies.

Duq

Reaction score
Yeah, i`ve never felt so stupid in my life, basically picked up the GF from stanstead and showing off i put my footdown.... 70-80.......100....130... mph.. what do i see behind me? Volvo estate unmarked police car ... heart dropped.. eventually pulled me... average speed over 1/2 mile 126.6mph in a 70 ( dual carrage way ) ....

Never felt like such an idiot in my life...

basically got told i have too attend court and am lookin at a temp ban..

my own fault lesson learnt!

Reaction score
Gutted mate, not the a120 was it?

Is this your first offence? Fingers crossed its not too harsh although average of 126 is pretty high.

Reaction score
OUCH!!!!

I know exaclty which car your talking about, I am always carefull down the A120 from Stanstead there are always police down that area and they are always in unmarked volvos, fords, vauxhalls.

TBH a friend was caught at around the same speed he got a 3 month ban and a £120 fine, but they always take each case sepratly, depending on time, weather etc.

Good luck with it all keep us posted.

Reaction score
Duq said:
average speed over 1/2 mile 126.6mph in a 70!

Mate, that is so harsh! :cry:

You going to try and present 'extenuating circumstances' to the court, or just take the punishment?

Duq

Reaction score
yeah the a120.. funny thing was... GF said just before i got pulled, you should be carefull theres loads of police on this road!...

just gonna take it on the chin... gonna plead the 5th and say i`ve started a new job which i need my lisence for.. an unless they want another one on the doll list for 3 months.. just hit me with a fine :p

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you were caught Dug :(

Think of it this way - if you were in Australia you'd be up for a year in jail...

Good luck with the trial.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it will help if you can get a letter from youre boss basically saying how you need the car for the job and that you will be at risk if you lose youre license.

Reaction score
If you were in the US, they would have pulled a gun and you'll be filming the next Metallica video in San Quentin.

hyb

Reaction score
Bummer, you must have been hammering it though to get that for an average speed!

Could always try and say you were trying to get away from the ugly buggers in a volvo that were 'following' you

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it mate.

You're looking at a ban for this for sure, but hopefully you can keep it down to couple of weeks.

As has been mentioned, get a letter from your new boss saying you require a license for work. Maybe its also worth speaking to your previous boss to see if they will vouch for your character and say this would not be something you'd normally do (assuming you are still on good terms!) If you have no points currently i'd imagine this would also help persuade the judge it was out of character.

Guess you are just waiting for the court date through the post now?

Reaction score
Do you *really* think you will get sympathy for doing that sort of speed on a road, let alone on a road with other cars on it. I seriously doubt it. I can't see you explaining your way out of it to the judge, but good luck! I'd have thought a minimum of 3 months ban.

Reaction score
Just a thought, but if your average speed was 126 mph then your closing speed on a car doing 70 mph would have been 56 mph. If someone pulled out into your lane it would have been equivalent to hitting a stationary car at 56 mph.

Im not going to preach to you about road safety as i wouldnt want to patronise you. My advice is that if you want to test your cars straight line ability, do it on a road late at night, where there are no junctions and at a time when you can see no other car lights. That way the only person you endanger is yourself.

Reaction score
my mate got done a bit ago doing 130 odd, 2 month ban and a fine, but he was a student at the time and took it on the chin... if you can convince them you need your car then I dont see any reason why you can't just get off with a fine.

fair play for being honest, i've done in excess of these speeds plenty of times, but usually restrict it to early hours of the morning... get 12 pots for next time, then you can brake instantly from 126 to 50mph :lol:

Reaction score
Actaully its a falehood that bigger breaks stop the car more quickly. All bigger breaks do is disperse heat more quickly and so are less liable to fade.

Once there is enough pad to disk friction to cause the wheel to lock, the limiting factor in breaking becomes the tyres grip level with the road.

Trophy brakes are perfectly able to lock the wheel, and therefore no increase in size would reduce stopping distance.

Bigger breaks seem to feel like they stop the car more quickly because it requires less effort to press the pedal as the required stopping friction is achieved at a lower caliper pressure.

Thought you were a track day veteran? :roll:

Reaction score
haha, i'm no trackday veteran! i'm sure however that the brakes you pay more money for (like 4, 6, 8 whatever pot brakes) are better and stop you faster than the normal crap you get given as standard. the basic caliper design of the Reno is shite, as is the quality of manufacture as i'm informed by nearly everywhere i have taken my car... upto now I have spent over £800 on the rear for brake related problems and over £400 on the front... I seriously cant imagine uprated calipers just disperse heat better, they must stop you faster, the nana can out brake a lot of superior cars and all the clio's on track, even when against better and crazier drivers... add to the fact it's generally carry more speed approaching the corner and the brakes must be better?

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Actaully its a falehood that bigger breaks stop the car more quickly. All bigger breaks do is disperse heat more quickly and so are less liable to fade.

Once there is enough pad to disk friction to cause the wheel to lock, the limiting factor in breaking becomes the tyres grip level with the road.

Trophy brakes are perfectly able to lock the wheel, and therefore no increase in size would reduce stopping distance.

Bigger breaks seem to feel like they stop the car more quickly because it requires less effort to press the pedal as the required stopping friction is achieved at a lower caliper pressure.

although i don't disagree with what you say, if you are such an expert surely you would know how to spell brake correctly?

Reaction score
Im sorry but you are just perpetuating a myth. Try this. Drive your williams along a road at 60 mph and stamp on the brakes as hard as you can. What happens? The wheels lock up and you skid.

Why? Because the grip of the disk to pad exceeds that of the tyre to road. The tyre to road grip is the weak point in the chain. So now do the same with 4 pots. What happens? Same result, only this time you dont have to press the pedal so hard to get the wheels to lock.

Do the same experiment lap after lap on a track though, and eventually the standard disk to pad grip wont exceed the grip from the tyre to the road, because the build up of heat will prevent the necessary friction. 4 pots wont get this as quickly as the aluminium calipers will disperse the heat and fade will be delayed.

Its a little known fact that clio cup cars managed 20 lap races running standard calipers with just a change to the standard pad to fast road / race pads. They reported no brake fade. If in working order a standard caliper is just as good as 4 pots, providing you get the righ pads and maintain them well.

You can bring anectodal evidence about the 'nana ths, and nana that' but the plain physics are that on a standard road car big brakes prevent fade, they dont reduce braking distance. Braking distance is reduced by increasing the grip of the tyre to the road.

Another reason the nana probably does better under braking is that it weight the same a a fag packet.

Reaction score
dcw@pr said:
[quote="King Stromba":3dhznfn4]Actaully its a falehood that bigger breaks stop the car more quickly. All bigger breaks do is disperse heat more quickly and so are less liable to fade.

although i don't disagree with what you say, if you are such an expert surely you would know how to spell brake correctly?[/quote:3dhznfn4]

Probably for the same reason you havnt used a capital letter at the start of your sentence?

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
[quote="dcw@pr":59uspszi][quote="King Stromba":59uspszi]Actaully its a falehood that bigger breaks stop the car more quickly. All bigger breaks do is disperse heat more quickly and so are less liable to fade.

although i don't disagree with what you say, if you are such an expert surely you would know how to spell brake correctly?[/quote:59uspszi]

Probably for the same reason you havnt used a capital letter at the start of your sentence?[/quote:59uspszi]

not really, that's just me being lazy. silly argument - it's just that people calling them "breaks" is one of my pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.