Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting to machine polish the trophy as i can see some general swirling which would be nice to get rid of. Has anyone been doing this on there T? Does anyone know is our paint clear coat or two part and does the paint seem to be quite soft? I should find this by experimenting but if anyone else has done it would be nice to know.I think it could be quiet hard arround the trophy sticker on the side panels too and wondered how to get round this? Also just generally wondered what anyone else's microns level have been using a ptg both on inside door and outside door or a guesstermet anyones used.

Is it better possibly to use a filler as should not effert the trophy stickers? or is this not worth it as the result may not be so good if the paint levels are fine to use a mechanical abbrassive?

Anyway let me know if anyones been giving it a bash. Cheers Craig

Reaction score
Evening Craig. I have machine polished my Trophy. I only do it as a hobby so im not a 'pro' but the paint seemed quite soft compared to my friends golf and audi that i have done. Regards to the Trophy sticker i briefly went over them with the machine, as of course i didnt want to damage them and they're fine.

IMG_0030.gif

It still looks awesome now with very few swirl marks in the paint....just have a go and see how you get on good luck!!

Reaction score
ok so you use a mechanical abbrasive yea? have you experimented with pads and polishes? do you use the same polish with different pads or different pad and different polishes? It does look good mate thumbs up. Think i'm gonna go with a dual action machine to minimise risk of damaging the paintwork myself. Tempted to use use a filler to start out then use a finishing pad when it requires it again. Any suggestions, what have you been using??

Reaction score
Trophy No.
moono, I don't think the Trophy has particularly soft paint, its just that VAG is made of granite!

Craig, If you have time and patience, abrasives will always give better results than filler. If your not too serious about it though SRP always gives pretty decent results.

Reaction score
aucky said:
http://detailingworld.co.uk/
Detailing world has more info than you will ever need. Great forum :)

Agreed!! The information on there is brilliant and any questions are given a detailed answer.

Like I say its just a hobby so i have always used the same combination on all the cars i have done. I wash the car, clay it, wash the car. I bought a meguiars dual action polisher G220 and i start by 'cutting' the paint with a meguiars cutting pad and menzerna final finish PO85 RE 5. I then move onto the polishing stage and use a meguiars polishing pad with either autoglym super resin polish or dodo juice lime prime lite. Then a wax - your choice.

My friend has just bought a MK4 R32 in blue and whoever has owned it must of washed it with wire wool the swirling is unreal!! He has been able to get hold of some 3M blue, yellow and green cutting/polishing bottles for quite cheap and that stuff i believe is supposed to be VERY good so i shall be doing that in the next few weeks. I'll put together a thread on it as i cant wait to do it......sad i know :lol: