Reaction score
It'd been 20 odd days since my last outing in the trophy due to being busy and the rubbish weather we've been having. However my power steering pump failed on my daily driver (206) so i've been "forced" to drive the trophy. I woke up excited to drive it and got to work with a grin on my face. What a car, and oh so much fun, even if i was having trouble getting traction in 1st.

Reaction score
Ho Ho Ho, 1st should be left well alone in the winter!

Diesel 206 to Trophy, that's going to make anyone appreciate the latter.

My mum didn't buy me an advent calender this year, first year of adulthood I guess, actually she'll probably give it to me at the weekend when I see her, one day of being an adult in 27 years isn't too bad I suppose.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
g40steve said:
I like the way it turns in on these damp, greasy roads.

Not sure i liked the way it went straight on at a roundabout the other eveningwhen i wanted to go right. [-o<

Reaction score
hoolio said:
g40steve said:

Not sure i liked the way it went straight on at a roundabout the other eveningwhen i wanted to go right. [-o<

Whats the saying?

More haste less speed.

(Or summin) :roll:

Reaction score
g40steve said:

Leaving the car following at the same speed weaving & slidding :-$

I just had to go and take the car out at lunch time and wring it's neck, absolutely great wet road handling, I'll all over this 1.4 Corsa like a cheap suit, he wasn't expecting that!

Seriously though, modulate the power initially and change up earlier and it just grips and goes out of of junctions, I'd defy a RWD car with similar power/weight to keep it so well in shape when given the beans.

I have noticed not quite the miraculous level of turn-in and resistance to slide that I experienced in April, the PE2's still look to have a fair bit of tread on them but maybe it's just I'm driving the car properly now. :twisted:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Shabba said:
hoolio said:
g40steve said:

Whats the saying?

More haste less speed.

(Or summin) :roll:

Yeah driver not car, little too enthausiastic on the go pedal. :)

Reaction score
Might just be me, but I'm pretty sure that the Exalto's really start to deteriorate over time. With fresh boots on, 185 is loving the puddles! She was looking a bit grubby the other day, so went for a really nice blast over through ditchling, clayton, haywards heath etc. Flying along leaf strewn roads, diving through muddy puddles and generally getting the car filthy. Brilliant. Then took her home and gave her a nice clean up to make her feel better.

Reaction score
chiefbadger said:
Might just be me, but I'm pretty sure that the Exalto's really start to deteriorate over time. With fresh boots on, 185 is loving the puddles! She was looking a bit grubby the other day, so went for a really nice blast over through ditchling, clayton, haywards heath etc. Flying along leaf strewn roads, diving through muddy puddles and generally getting the car filthy. Brilliant. Then took her home and gave her a nice clean up to make her feel better.

Mine was behind yours on the production line '187' (wave)

Reaction score
TBH you have to be moderate with the throttle in any FWD car in the wet, You can get ludicrous wheelspin in almost any front driver, generally the less power, the skinnier the tyres so it's always there. Some complete muppet in a diesel Vectra wheelspan so much out of a junction earlier he had to make it look deliberate and kept it nailed the whole way down the road, it sounded and looked awful, a real mess. The 205 GTI I had for two years took ages to get used to (my first car) and used to spin up the fronts without even trying, no revs, lift the clutch too fast and hey, blue smoke everywhere.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve Gunnis said:
Ho Ho Ho, 1st should be left well alone in the winter!

Diesel 206 to Trophy, that's going to make anyone appreciate the latter.

My mum didn't buy me an advent calender this year, first year of adulthood I guess, actually she'll probably give it to me at the weekend when I see her, one day of being an adult in 27 years isn't too bad I suppose.

similar thing with me and my mum - i'm 30 now and she stopped buying me my annual collection box when i was 21 - i gave her a right earful now she never forgets :) even if i don't eat the things it still make me smile.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
artdealer said:
Left a trail of blue smoke in a 3.0 CSL once and thought I'd banged a valve or something....er no, just tyre smoke and two nice black lines along the A27 at Poling :)

reminds me of my first experience of a toyota supera. At a set of traffic lights in Macclesfield, wanting to see how quick this thing was - nailing it and just sitting there - me and my mate just looked at each other wondereing why we weren't moving then omg... at the next set about 400 yards down the road we stopped and a plume of blue smoke drifted by us like a fog :)

oh what's it was like to be young and foolish in you dad's car.

Reaction score
I've ordered a couple of new PE's for the front as there were on their way out like chiefbadger says. So it'll be back to normal, well normal for the wet conditions anyway. At the moment with the wet surrey backroads and my old tires 1st and 2nd gear a not really useable even with modulated throttle, i find it pretty funny :) I am 100% sure with the new front tires on it'll be fine. Come on mytyres.co.uk hurry up and deliver them!

206 is still off the road so i'm still driving the trophy everyday :) :)