Reaction score
Interesting article in the June magazine comparing the 200 cup and the 172 cup; 200 was 1.5 secs a lap quicker due to its "trick front suspension system and brakes" but the 172 was "more fun" ( I paraphrase). I believe Mr Metcalfe, who has some standing within said mag, owns a Trophy; I wonder if he might have offered a comparison to see if it's suspension might make a difference to the lap time had it been a T rather than a 172 cup?? (plus a good set of pads and iro 200 kgs weight difference might have evened up the braking between the 2). Something for next months follow up article maybe.

Good read anyhow ;-)

Reaction score
Yeah it was interesting to read, you have got to think though what the 172 would do with the 200's brembos?

What is a bit of a shock though is that evo time the T round their track at 1min 34 and the 172 cup 1min 33.4! But i think there has been some hoo ha with this before sying that its not always the same driver?

Reaction score
I'm an EVO subscriber, and look forward to the mag dropping through my letter box every month, have done for years.

But as with all laptimes, there are so many factors to take into account.

Driver, environmental conditions,including air temperature and humidity, air speed and direction, car's condition ie how much life left in the tyres, brake pads discs etc even hom much fuel on board, a full tank to a near empty on a 50L tank makes a 40ish~kg differance.

Clio 200 Cup 1min31.9secs (peak speed 97.2mph)
Clio 172 Cup 1.33.4(96.1mph)
Focus ST 1.33.6(96.5mph)
Clio Trophy 1.34 (peak 96.5mph)
Fiat 500Abarth Esseesse (92.3mph)
Clio 197 Cup 134.2 (96.5mph)

Makes you wonder if the Trophy was EVO mags own and it was timed before damper rebuild and therefore could have been under performing as the acceleration is good with high peak speed which is some 4mph higher than the 500A, the same as the Focus ST, but maybe loosing out on the bends/under braking due to under performing damper as I would have expected the Trophy to be able to take the slower corners faster than the ST due shorter, nimbler chassis as ST is a heavy car with big engine hanging out front which blunts direction changes, but conversely be faster on longer faster bends than the twitchy shorter wheelbase 500A. Both cars being turbo charged can drag themselves out of bends from lower down but may need to fight wheel spin.

But as with most things it's all if's and but

Reaction score
Totally agree with all the above; we need a group test from EVO - same day same driver all cars in top condition etc ; i have a sneaky feeling the T would fare much better than the old numbers might suggest in a direct comparison feature (manufacturer permitting - they don't want to put off any prospective purchasers of the latest version - lol)!

Reaction score
j333evo said:
But as with all laptimes, there are so many factors to take into account.

Your right! There are so many contributing factors to consider. I think you can pretty much ignore most of these road tests as they all seem to say something totally different. I've seen magazines saying that the Trophy's 0-60 is 7.1, 6.9, 6.6 and 6.1 seconds, so which is right? probably all on the day! I think that we can really take these tests with a pinch of salt as it depends on many factors.

I've heard people saying that a particular car was so much faster than another in a magazine or tv test, but in actual fact you'll probably find that in real conditions the outcome would be so different. Also with the these lap times you don't necessarily need to change driver to get different times, i.e. the 200 vs 182 cup on Fifth Gear, whilst watching that, you do notice that Tiff does seem to drive the 200 much better around the track and seems to mess up a little in the 182.

Bring on the real test! he he

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue the story of the Twingo/5GTturbo shootout that they did on fifth gear, the Twingo was "scripted" to win. Tut tut.

Reaction score
Who cares about the laptimes in some magazine (I am an Evo subscriber) everyone who owns or has owned a Trophy nows how well it handles and what a blast it is to drive. Simple! 8)

Drive it, love it, enjoy it!

Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone really cares about laptimes in a magazine, it promotes discussion though; which, I'm sure you'll agree, is a good thing ;-)

Reaction score
I've recently bought myself a 172 cup and really can't wait to get it on track and see how it goes compared to my old trophy, on the road they are very different cars, the main thing being how well the trophy rides bumpy b roads, the cup feels like it has slightly firmer suspension and definitely moves about on the road a lot more than the trophy does.

If they were to do a test on all RS Clios in tip top condition i really don't think there would be a hugh amount between any of them, the trick sachs dampers on the trophy are just amazing on the road but i certainly wasn't blown away by the setup on track.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hoolio said:
Cue the story of the Twingo/5GTturbo shootout that they did on fifth gear, the Twingo was "scripted" to win. Tut tut.

Actually I may be mistaken on the specifics but a script was def found in the back of an owners car.

Reaction score
I have driven both a Trophy and a 172 Cup on track.

The Trophy grips harder and has much less understeer but the 172 Cups brake setup is better, the Trophy's ABS was cutting in where the 172 Cup would still be braking hard. Also the 172 Cups rear seems better under braking.

To me anyway!!

Trophy best overall and the seats do help too!!