Reaction score
I have had a little knocking sound coming from the rear of the car for the passed week. I haven't a clue what it can be? At 1st it started off as a little rattle noise (like the rear parcel shelf or plastic) but after a good check I found nothing!

Thought it might have been the new rear koni's knocking but after removing them and refitting several times I ticked that off the list.

Next I got the mrs to drive the car while I was in the back...suddenly I could only hear a very slight rattle -must have been rear seat or something. But just going to work this morning going over the uneven surface a knock has started up?! I thought it might have been the exhaust but you really have to 'wobble' it from side to side to make it hit the rear bumper. It sounds like a bush going..does the exhaust hitting the bumper sound like this?

Cheers Rich

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Tried driving with the back seat folded down to see if that helps to hear it or not?

Reaction score
Richard, just had a thought :idea:

You've just had to adjust your rear bumper to get the exhaust to look right, and you've also got a knock.

Check your exhaust back box hasn't moved, when i 1st bought my Trophy i had the exact same thing, it turned out to be the rear box that had moved back about 10mm and was causing the bend in the exhaust to hit the rear beam, my exhaust was also hanging out the back.

One way to rule out anything hitting the bumper axle etc, is to put a bit of blu-tack etc on the offending part in a sausage shape, if when you get back from a quick drive (one which would normally highlight the noise) the sausage is flat, then you've found the problem :wink:

Chris

Reaction score
I think I have a similar problem get a knocking sound when going over very poor back lanes.

I'm convinced it's the exhaust. Have replaced the 2 back mounts aswell as the middle one but still got problem :x

Will have to try the 'blu-tack' trick I think Chris :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I would try blu-tac on the rear cut outs too Keith. I had this problem.

Reaction score
When my heat shield came loose it was knocking against the back boxes, when it first started it sounded like it was coming from inside the car, it wasnt until it got really bad that it sounded like it was coming from outside.

Also had a knocking noise on my old 182 which was the tail pipes hitting the bumper after i fitted a after market exhaust.

Reaction score
I had this problem and it turned out to the be the exhaust hieat shelid has 'bitten' through the washers.

Reaction score
I have too had this problem but my cause was where the exhaust center pipe meets the back box there is a U clamp holding the 2 together! I found the clamp where you tightened it was knocking on the rear axle when going over bumps or conering hard!

Reaction score
Might try the blue tac mod and see! I think it may be hitting the bumper but the blue tac will tell!

Reaction score
Just an update - I tried the blue tac and it flattened a little so I adjusted the rear bumper and exhaust and tried it again. The knocking is still there?! I had a look under the car to see if I could see anything that would touch any form of part which moved in driving.

I put down the rear seats and the noise is coming from the drivers side rear - a week or two ago it was coming from the passenger but stopped????

It just sounds like a bush has gone (the knocking sound)